• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ROI Gig (100% remote) want to pay in Euros

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sterling Bank, Business Account and add a Euro account for £2 a month I think and you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      They can pay direct into your UK GBP account using an IBAN account number and therefore the only hassle is the exchange rate will fluctuate slightly. You don't need to necessarily setup a special account.
      This is what I did. Not a problem, invoiced in Euros paid in Euros but appears in Company Bank Account in GBP.
      Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post

This is what I did. Not a problem, invoiced in Euros paid in Euros but appears in Company Bank Account in GBP.
        Which is fine until you see the hidden fees via the terrible exchange rates used for that implied currency transfer.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Which is fine until you see the hidden fees via the terrible exchange rates used for that implied currency transfer.
          This. It's really no bother to set up an account with a forex company and save a significant amount of money on fees and rates.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Metro Bank seems reasonable to me
            Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post

Metro Bank seems reasonable to me
              They may be but after Lloyds charged me 5% on a transaction years ago (compared to the mastercard exchange rate on the time) my viewpoint has been don't make assumptions that the rate will be sane.

The thing here is that the new banks play fair when it comes to overseas transactions, older banks often don't so you need to go in with yours eyes up and check. Which is why I've continually said check and use someone else rather than don't worry about it my bank was OK.
              Last edited by eek; 30 July 2021, 07:15.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

They can pay direct into your UK GBP account using an IBAN account number and therefore the only hassle is the exchange rate will fluctuate slightly. You don't need to necessarily setup a special account.
                Not all accounts allow multi-currency transactions. Starling Business accounts don't, for example. You need to pay a subscription for a dedicated Euro or USD account. I opened a USD account for £5/month while I was working with a US client.

Comment

I did this, then six months later realised a) Cater Allen's rate + fees was extortionate, and b) Sterling was slowly dropping. Together they made a significant dent in my income. Setting up a Wise account or similar means you can hold that cash and transfer to GBP at the best rates. I've done recent contracts paying Euro and Swiss Francs and have no issue working like that, but not being smart on how the exchange is done is literally throwing money down the drain.

Definitely worth reading up on IR35 rules for non-UK companies. It still applies (or rather - is still enforceable) if the end client has a UK division so don't assume you can argue 'outside' just because they're off-shore.

Comment

Working...
                  X