• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I pull out of contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I pull out of contract?

Hello,

I verbally agreed to an eight week fixed term contract about 6 weeks ago (I am an IT contractor).

I was due to start next week.

The contract is subject to SC. 6 weeks ago, I was told that the clearance would take two to three weeks (fast tracked) to come through so should have had clearance by now but only received the forms last week..

Fast forward to now - I haven’t received a laptop to start work, the company have said that I can’t work on the project (or be paid) until the security clearance comes through, I got a notification to say that it may take up to 40 more days for the security clearance to come through.

They sent me the contract today and I haven’t signed it yet. I want to pull out now because I will potentially have to wait for up to 40 days unpaid for security clearance to come through. I have other job offers which I can start and be paid for from next week..

Is it illegal/bad for me to pull out?

Depends on your risk levels. I waited 3 months back in 1999 for clearance. Eventually I called up the head of HR at *****REDACTED***** and mentioned that my friends who were neighbours of *****REDACTED***** had spoken to him and he'd said I should call the head of HR.

I spoke to the secretary and would you believe it, 3 day later my clearance came though. Worth it though. In those 3 months outside of contract I got really good at Worms Armageddon, had a great time living off previous earnings, and got a higher rate for a year than I'd ever had once the contract started.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather1989 View Post

Is it illegal/bad for me to pull out?
      No.

You verbally agreed to the gig on the understanding your SC would be sorted well before you were to start.

You havent signed anything yet either.

Just return the laptop and tell them you have found something else.

Comment

Why will it be illegal? You don't even have a binding contract (even if you do, unlikely that they will put such clause in, and if so, it will be near impossible for them to enforce it)...

I understand that you have other offers, but until you actually start in one of these (and happy with it) - I'd say - no good reason to pull-out.
        Worst case - the process starts, you get SC (that can be used for other gigs) and you either continue or you don't.
        Last edited by Gulliver89; 26 August 2021, 15:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulliver89 View Post
          Why will it be illegal?
          For some reason plenty of people thinking doing something when they don't know is illegal. We see it a lot on here.

OP. Wouldn't happen to be based in Milton Keynes would it?

I got contacted about an SC gig recently that was willing to put me through clearance but they did make it clear I wouldn't work until it came through and they wanted the commitment from now to then so fair play to them for being honest. Rate was derisory but I was very tempted to try and dovetail it just to get SC. I regularly get contacted for Gov SC gigs and most are outside so would have been worth taking the hit to get it for me.... but just the rate .. Just didn't make financial sense in the end so said upfront I couldn't commit to what was happening in 6 weeks and that I'd be around if there was a delay and left it.

Sounds like you have been sold up a bum deal. No way would I have believed them if they'd said SC in 3 weeks. Not a chance in hell that is going to happen.

Just say no thanks, circumstances have changed and leave it... although SC could be very valuable in these dark times. Just have to do the sums and see what works.

Last edited by northernladuk; 23 June 2021, 21:24.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How long is your other gig for? What's the notice period in that one? No point turning the SC one down if you can get three months out of the other one before the SC one even turns up. The other one might get canned anyway.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Start new job while waiting for SC then do both jobs at once - double bubble

Comment

Nothing wrong with taking other work here.
                Phone them and say. "IF this clearance issue isn't sorted in 24 hours I will take on other work."
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

You’ve put all your eggs in one basket on a single income stream and stopped looking for other work based on a vague promise.

never stop looking for work until you’re actually working for a client. Try not to have one client you’re dependant on.

Get more work then when the SC clearance comes through go the 8 weeks.

Comment

String them along while looking for another contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X