• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back to permieland - 1 month in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    The remote working that has come with permie roles has definitely made it more attractive.

I managed 3 months a while back (good salary, no commute as the office was close by) but each day I could feel the life being sucked out of me in increasing amounts. Absolutely soul destroying. As a contractor you feel like you're getting paid for your time, as permie you feel like you're being punished for doing something very wrong in a previous life. Obviously depends on the place/people/work.
    Because that is what they actually want of you: to break you.

you are continuously challenged and put to hardship and emotional strain until at some point you give up the fight and just give your will to them.
    Money is never enough because that would be a demotivator, a controllable person has to be paid just enough to keep coming for it and to be able to keep that over his head.
    They are looking to engrain in you Stockholm syndrome. That is the culture of permanent employment everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

you are continuously challenged and put to hardship and emotional strain until at some point you give up the fight and just give your will to them.
      Money is never enough because that would be a demotivator, a controllable person has to be paid just enough to keep coming for it and to be able to keep that over his head.
      They are looking to engrain in you Stockholm syndrome. That is the culture of permanent employment everywhere.
      Geez, you are a miserable, paranoid feckwit. are you russian, perchance???

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

Geez, you are a miserable, paranoid feckwit. are you russian, perchance???
        No, East European.

Are you employed by one of the National Agencies per chance to tow the party line on public forums?

Social contract in this country is broken. Permanent employment is a lie and most of the people can only afford what they do by getting over the head in debt.
        You have zero protection from being fired and no rights at all. If you get fired after 2 years they might throw at you a severance package which... considering how costly life is won't last you more than 2 years.

Believe in pensions? With the amount of money they are printing now you'd be lucky to afford to pay rent out of it when you retire.
        Younger people and poor people are screwed, none will afford to buy a house in South unless they inherit.

By the time you retire they'll probably be paid health insurance here as well so when you take your uber to go to the hospital in an emergency better jump out of it so your kids could have a chance to keep the roof over their head.

People have to be honest with themselves and talk the truth otherwise the ruling class will push even further the equilibrium and **** the rest of the classes even more.

Fight for better contracts, ignore calls. ignore dinky start-up companies that will burn you out in 6m and fire you with a random reason pulled out of a bag. Fight for better pay (that is lower now probably than 15y ago in absolute figure, not taken into account even inflation... which is eye watering now. But nobody talks about it and the gov fudges the stats every time taking things out of the bag and putting irrelevant ones in.
        Last edited by GigiBronz; 6 May 2021, 12:28.

Comment

Close, then.

Comment

OK guys, who ordered a plate of generalisations with a side of bulltulip?

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

OK guys, who ordered a plate of generalisations with a side of bulltulip?
              this coming from the person that appreciates being paid weekly instead of monthly. Being paid the same sum in a month you would otherwise get in a week sounds more like it for a permi job the opposite is quite dim...

There was another pointless perk advertised with some perm jobs: Being paid on time.

Comment

No, East European.

Are you employed by one of the National Agencies per chance to tow the party line on public forums?
                Where precisely are you going to tow it to?

Now if you are going to toe the party line on the other hand, that would be a completely different manner.

If you're going to troll someone, at least get it right.

Comment

Wow, who hurt you?

I am month 3 into an FTC (not exactly perm but close enough).
                  To be honest I am enjoying it, get paid holiday, flexi time, benefits. Day one got new laptop, 2 screens, keyboard, mouse etc all delivered home which was nice.
                  Company is good to work for, a bit green and undecisive in places which is annoying but after spending 4 years in the public sector where you needed 2 business cases and 5 meetings just to wipe your arse, its nothing I cant handle.

I have a weekly catch up with my manager just to see how project is going along and any blockers. Not sure if I will have annual/quarter reviews or the like, will see what happens.

I did have to sit through 4 hours of training videos on anti bribery, policies, respect in the work place and all that malarkey but hey ho good with the bad.

I think with any place it comes down to the people you work with.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post

a completely different manner.

If you're going to troll someone, at least get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

- Yearly performance reviews and personal development plans aren't that bad. I haven't had a quarterly review and temp check with my manager so I can't speak for that, but I had a 30 minutes call with him about smart objectives and personal dev plan. Then I spent 1 hour writing them up and loading them into our hr system. And that was it. No need to do anything else for the next 11 months. I'll never understand why contractors are so bothered by these...
                      If you literally never have to think about them again, or be seen to do things to achieve them, then yeah, sounds like a doddle.

When I was permie and had to do these, they were always tied into bonuses, and promotions, and the whole politics of "be visible to your bosses boss, other teams" etc.

It's funny, but I hated all the sh!t as a permie, but I actually quite enjoy it as a contractor. I don't care about trying to be get promoted if I was a permie, but I do care about being seen as indispensable as a contractor.

Comment

Working...
                      X