• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Outside IR35 contract with the same client, but not via agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Outside IR35 contract with the same client, but not via agency

Currently I work via my LTD company and have a contract with the recruitment agency who I bill on monthly basis. The recruitment agency have a contract with the end client to whom I provide my IT services.

The End client have decided to engage with me as a service provider directly starting from April and want to issue Outside IR35 contract. And here`s the problem: my current contract with the recruitment agency prohibit me to work for End client directly for 6 months after the end of current contract.

Has anyone come across this issue? And most importantly how did or would you resolve this?

Thanks

We've had this one a million times. Use the google search method and type in handcuff site:contractoruk.com/forums. People may not be so willing to go over it yet again in detail so have a look at the threads in that search.

In a nutshell if the client wants you direct then they have to negotiate you out of the handcuff. They may have to buy you out or they will just strong arm the agent in to letting you go without a fuss. Either way, you are caught by the handcuff so get the client to sort it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, tell the client you can't sign directly.

If they really want you, they need to put their weight behind you and sort out some sort of arrangement with the agency where the agency releases you from that clause. The agency might want some sort of pay-off which you can negotiate then.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
        Yes, tell the client you can't sign directly.

If they really want you, they need to put their weight behind you and sort out some sort of arrangement with the agency where the agency releases you from that clause. The agency might want some sort of pay-off which you can negotiate then.
        No, the client needs to negotiate that since that is the contract that is being restated. All the OP is doing is leaving the agency, he is not liable for losses created by the client's decisions.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have been offered by the End client to negotiate this matter separately with the Recruitment agency. Talking to the Agency rep. it looks like they are going to propose some sort of a "contract find fee" to be paid to them on monthly basis depending on number of days worked. Not sure how this is going to work though, but will post update later.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            We've had this one a million times. Use the google search method and type in handcuff site:contractoruk.com/forums. People may not be so willing to go over it yet again in detail so have a look at the threads in that search.

In a nutshell if the client wants you direct then they have to negotiate you out of the handcuff. They may have to buy you out or they will just strong arm the agent in to letting you go without a fuss. Either way, you are caught by the handcuff so get the client to sort it.
            Maybe we need a sticky about handcuff clauses. It'll be about four lines long but it seems to be something that keeps being asked and no-one seems to be able to find.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Maybe we need a sticky about handcuff clauses. It'll be about four lines long but it seems to be something that keeps being asked and no-one seems to be able to find.
              That would be an idea. It would probably go the same way as the security one did though. My situations is different because of xxxx.. Nope no it's not. Read it again.

Comment

Or we could have a locked sticky of frequently asked questions

with each question given it's own post.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Or we could have a locked sticky of frequently asked questions

with each question given it's own post.
                  All starting with caveat to do a search and ask your accountant before proceeding

Comment

Originally posted by rorybracker View Post
                    I have been offered by the End client to negotiate this matter separately with the Recruitment agency. Talking to the Agency rep. it looks like they are going to propose some sort of a "contract find fee" to be paid to them on monthly basis depending on number of days worked. Not sure how this is going to work though, but will post update later.
                    So they have terminated the deal with the agency, want you to sort out the detail and pay the agency for their lost business...

Seems completely fair to me

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X