• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC clearance and Contact work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC clearance and Contact work

Hi All,

I am currently working as a full time employee for a a giant IT company. I have recently received an opportunity of doing some contract work for 1 year. I am planning on taking up this contract under my limited company.

My current employer has recently asked me that I need to get SC Cleared for the upcoming projects. This has created following doubts in my mind regarding contracting.

1. If I get SC cleared I will be stating the truth and telling them that I am also making money via the ltd company.
    2. Is my employer going to find out all this information.
    3. Can I really do contract work without telling my employer. I am not sure whether the company will appreciate me having a full time job with them and doing contract work.

I donot really want to end up loosing my full time job even if there is 50% of messing this up.

Please advise what my options are.

Regards

You employment contract will tell you whether you can do work on the side. Most likely it will either have a straight "no", or a requirement to get permission. Either way, you talk to your employer first.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

SC clearance is about you being trust worthy enough to work with sensitive infirmation. Its not going to look very good if you are trying to hide something to get it will it.

If your employer checks your logs will they find anything to so with your side project? Using their time to do it will certainly get you in hot water.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Options are simple.

Tell your employer unless there is a specific clause in your contract of employment that covers this already. You may need to talk to HR to be certain. chances are there will be a non-compete clause in there as well, just to make life even more difficult.

Learn an awful lot more about what you are getting into. Contracting right now is a mess, and the chances of you being able to use your Ltd Co in two months time are pretty slim.

Clearance is nothing to do with it either way. But hiding stuff (and remember that if they don't already know they will find out) is a good way to to fail.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

to add to the other comments, the vetting people at your current company, if they are the sponsor, may well get to see your application.
          Whether the vetting people tell HR or not is a matter of internal policy.

But this could be a whole world of pain just for the sake of greed.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by blade99
            depends what level of SC. usually 4 tiers.

Basic level ie Scottish disclosure, then then BPSS check, then SC, then DV.
            SC is SC. There aren't 4 tiers.

DV sounds like a nightmare
            sounds like?
            So you don't know then?
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

There is Bollox, and then there is Bollocks. Both varieties in abundance, are swinging in this thread.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

depends what level of SC. usually 4 tiers. Basic level ie Scottish disclosure, then then BPSS check, then SC, then DV. the later 3 are honesty based, and DV sounds like a nightmare, checking your internet habits. Ie you can have a past, as long as you state it. But lieing is generally an instant fail. No chance you can hide employment or company ownership from the process

As an example, my parents got divorced. I thought i could not be bothered to drag the partners into the process, and low and behold, they flagged it and i had to. You only find out when you dont disclose
                It states very clearly that you must add the details of your parents' partners..... You just couldn't be bothered? You must be a client's dream with diligence like that.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

As an example, my parents got divorced. I thought i could not be bothered to drag the partners into the process, and low and behold, they flagged it and i had to. You only find out when you dont disclose
                  You do realise you aren't the only person who has to complete security clearance forms who doesn't come from a nuclear family? One of my friends' had fun chasing up all the names and birth dates of adult step-siblings, some of whom he had only met once briefly, for a government role. It put him off but once he had the details it made it easier to apply for similar roles.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X