• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job board observations contract roles in perm clothes rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    it takes most people 3 to 6 months just to get up to speed on a project.

balderdash! if it took that long you'd be out on your ear!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      balderdash! if it took that long you'd be out on your ear!
      From a software development perspective, i don't about other roles.
      But you can start doing bug fixes after 3 days. But major code refactoring and redesign or adding major features, the heavy lifting that we get paid for, normally requires a few months to get up to speed..
      Last edited by Fraidycat; 25 December 2020, 14:24.

Comment

Which stable is this one from?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Which stable is this one from?
          the Bethlehem one, i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
            From a software development perspective, i don't about other roles.
            But you can start doing bug fixes after 3 days. But major code refactoring and redesign or adding major features, the heavy lifting that we get paid for, normally requires a few months to get up to speed..
            I mean if you are on £250 a day maybe your client will put up with you being that inadequate, but for those of us on proper day rates if you take longer than 2 weeks to become properly useful you will be binned.

In your case either you are ineffectual or your client is an idiot. If it's the first and you are getting away with it then good on you. If it's the latter than you've hit the contract nirvana and you should milk it

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
              I mean if you are on £250 a day maybe your client will put up with you being that inadequate, but for those of us on proper day rates if you take longer than 2 weeks to become properly useful you will be binned.

In your case either you are ineffectual or your client is an idiot. If it's the first and you are getting away with it then good on you. If it's the latter than you've hit the contract nirvana and you should milk it
              You guys totally underestimate how successful an ineffectual programmer can be.

The things you should work on are the firm handshake and a big smile. After that you might worry about whether you can program or not, but it’s not super important. In fact, under COVID restrictions you might not even need the first two things!

Comment

I do so love a school of hard knocks conversation at Christmas.

Comment

I don't think this is new. For years I've seen ads that say stuff like "permanent developer/architect/other urgently needed for project to do X". The requirement is clearly contractor material but for some reason they want a permy.

What kind of perm looks at these and says, oh I'll be available in 3 months of notice period, so I'll apply! Maybe the client is really looking for contract to perm, or maybe they're just clueless or delusional.. in any case ignore, let them figure it out

Comment

Working...
                  X