• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are umbrella companies being required more often?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Agreed. And the first question is who's name is it in...?
    the businesses surely?
    Otherwise the rest of the information is a lie.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      the businesses surely?
      Otherwise the rest of the information is a lie.
      Which equally is a mistake - one of the best tricks you could do was put the property in your SIPP so the company is paying rent directly into your pension fund.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Agreed. And the first question is who's name is it in...?
        The office is owned by the Ltd. It has a small mortgage on it, £50k outstanding. I can repay it in full at any time without any penalties - but it also has something like 18 years left to run, and the interest rate is low. Its costing something like £60 per month in interest. The loan payments are about £400 per month, and leccy/gas/water/insurance/internet comes to around £160 per month, so the difference before or after tax on £560 per month is not huge.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Which equally is a mistake - one of the best tricks you could do was put the property in your SIPP so the company is paying rent directly into your pension fund.
          My accountant didn't think that was such a great idea. For starters, its quite hard to find a SIPP that would let me do that, and there would be costs involved too. I don't think he thought it was a terrible idea, just that I would be better off putting cash into the SIPP instead. Would also need to pay off the mortgage before putting the property into the SIPP too.

I think I might look into this again - as you say it would be a decent asset plus rent going into my pension.

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks there is a can of worms to be opening here. If only we could ask the OP and get enough facts to discuss...

But then we aren't bothered. OP has the answer to his question.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Am I the only one that thinks there is a can of worms to be opening here. If only we could ask the OP and get enough facts to discuss...

But then we aren't bothered. OP has the answer to his question.
              Just create a new thread and ask that "can of worms" question
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
                My accountant didn't think that was such a great idea. For starters, its quite hard to find a SIPP that would let me do that, and there would be costs involved too. I don't think he thought it was a terrible idea, just that I would be better off putting cash into the SIPP instead. Would also need to pay off the mortgage before putting the property into the SIPP too.

I think I might look into this again - as you say it would be a decent asset plus rent going into my pension.
                your accountant is not an IFA though is he?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                X