• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invest in properties now or wait?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    7% yield - wow, you are a long time deed counting a 7% yield, comparing with the fun you could have with the capital with your family and friends

You might be the richest man in the graveyard

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    the maths is different as it's leveraged investment.
    Last edited by GitMaster69; 21 October 2020, 20:49.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      7% yield - wow, you are a long time deed counting a 7% yield, comparing with the fun you could have with the capital with your family and friends

You might be the richest man in the graveyard

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Or it could mean retiring at 40 and not ever having to deal with any managers or timesheets again! Just think optimistically

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        Or it could mean retiring at 40 and not ever having to deal with any managers or timesheets again! Just think optimistically
        So what's the plan, you're looking at properties that offer discount because they are close to maturity on the lease? Is mortgage even possible on such ?

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
          I've good warchest currently , thinking of buying 2x BTL in North West.
          Just buy one obviously. If it works out, then congratulations. If not you can pat yourself on the back for being so smart you didn’t get two...

Comment

there are 0% chances that the property prices will still go up in 2021.
            We've been having this discussions for ages now, the fundamentals are just not there.
            Price to earnings ratio at least for SE has been continuously going up while inflation has been eroding the value of money at the same time. Salaries have stagnated for more than 12 years.

I am still surprised of how it had such a sudden jump but you cannot underestimate good sales people... "a nation of shopkeepers" only that nobody is selling anything productive. It's just a rentier economy.

My opinion is that the parties with vested interest have colluded with the estate agents and the gov to give the property market a "one last spin". And offload the stock they had onto the naives.
            People getting cooked up in their homes, mainstream media spinning wishful narratives that we've all heard, has gotten everyone very excited again. And they've all starting running like kids after the icecream truck waving their fists full of notes.

The only way that I could see this to continue: another package of stimulus, even lower interest rates and hyperinflation.
            But that would not be capitalism anymore, it will be some frankenstein between capitalism and feudalism that myself I do not want to be part of.
            What will be next, central banks owning 100% of GDP? Will those obligations default with them or will they sell them back to the free markets?
            But I do imagine the leading class to be so corrupt that they would just prop it up to infinity, negative interest rates with no regard to young people, meritocracy or economic theories.

Overall I still believe that there are good chances for a harsh economic crisis and 30-40% house price correction. There is still hope in me that this is still capitalism.
            Last edited by GigiBronz; 21 October 2020, 22:55.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
              there are 0% chances that the property prices will still go up in 2021.
              We've been having this discussions for ages now, the fundamentals are just not there.
              Price to earnings ratio at least for SE has been continuously going up while inflation has been eroding the value of money at the same time. Salaries have stagnated for more than 12 years.
              How refreshing to see other people out there able to value investments properly ... I thought I was the only one.

To the OP, why this strange affinity for fixing broken toilets at 2am? Why not buy a tax-efficient, low-cost, liquid, balanced and globally-diversified portfolio of stocks, bonds & REITs? Oh, I see, you want to be a sitting duck for the coming wave of tax rises with an immovable, tax-inefficient asset with a P/E ratio above 30 and a pile of headaches known as "tenants". Good luck then matey!

Comment

Originally posted by v6g View Post
                How refreshing to see other people out there able to value investments properly ... I thought I was the only one.

To the OP, why this strange affinity for fixing broken toilets at 2am? Why not buy a tax-efficient, low-cost, liquid, balanced and globally-diversified portfolio of stocks, bonds & REITs? Oh, I see, you want to be a sitting duck for the coming wave of tax rises with an immovable, tax-inefficient asset with a P/E ratio above 30 and a pile of headaches known as "tenants". Good luck then matey!
                Couldn’t have said it better then the previous two posts. There is still money to make in property but you have to be a whole lot more selective then just buying a three bed semi and letting it out. I’m talking planning changes office to residential splitting the flats etc

I wouldn’t be buying now and frankly I don’t understand who the hell is buying to keep prices up

Comment

You do realise that is confirmation bias don't you?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

So much truth.

I briefly considered buying a house (2nd property, so huge Additional Dwelling Supplement) and renting out my current flat in the city centre of Edinburgh.
                    I dodged the bullet big time. The rental market here is crap at the moment; hundreds of ex airbnb flats have flooded the rental market and it's a true race to the bottom!

Flats that would find tenants within a couple of days you see them now stay on the market for weeks and weeks and then progressively lowering the asking price.

So factor in:
                    - lower rental income
                    - 1 month without rent while you find/vet tenants
                    - 10% cut for the letting agency
                    - rental income now taxed at 40% and who knows next year
                    - increased mortgage because I'd have to switch from residential to buy-to-let

Investing in buy-to-let would be for me worse than just dumping money down the toilet.

Comment

And no 10% furnished allowance trick
                      And CGT likely to go up to income tax rate lavels
                      And evictions now almost impossible for a long time

Not a good time unless you really find a deal

Comment

Working...
                      X