• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regulation 10 - Opted in, handcuff?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulation 10 - Opted in, handcuff?

If the agency failed to collect an opt out form (they failed to notice that the opt out form was filled in)

Can they:

- enforce the handcuff in the contract on the contractor?
    - enforce the handcuff in the contract on the client?

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    If the agency failed to collect an opt out form (they failed to notice that the opt out form was filled in)

Can they:

- enforce the handcuff in the contract on the contractor?
    - enforce the handcuff in the contract on the client?
    They can make so much trouble the other party will back off to avoid the possible legal fall out. They can also terminate contracts and refuse to pay last wages etc... if you are still in that position. In a nutshell, be complete arses regardless of what the legislation says.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      They can make so much trouble the other party will back off to avoid the possible legal fall out. They can also terminate contracts and refuse to pay last wages etc... if you are still in that position. In a nutshell, be complete arses regardless of what the legislation says.
      I guess my question is - does the law override whatever the contract says?

Comment

Your question should not be about "the law" but about the best way to get work and keep clients happy.
        If you resort to using the law to argue something, you may find that the client will get dragged in and not want to work with you in future.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Your question should not be about "the law" but about the best way to get work and keep clients happy.
          If you resort to using the law to argue something, you may find that the client will get dragged in and not want to work with you in future.
          Isn't it in client's best interests to pay less?

Comment

Isn't it in client's best interests to pay less?

It's in the client's best interest to have reliable suppliers who don't drag them in to legal cases.
            If they (and their name) are brought in to a court case, how much time & money will that cost them for the legal aspect, and what will the impact be on their business for that?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Answer is in this case no. The opt in/out rules are so badly misunderstood by all parties they are useless. If you are relying on them for an outcome or to resolve a dispute you are going to end up in a difficult situation.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Answer is in this case no. The opt in/out rules are so badly misunderstood by all parties they are useless. If you are relying on them for an outcome or to resolve a dispute you are going to end up in a difficult situation.
                That's a very wishy washy answer. Regulation 10 reads pretty clear to me, surely this would override any business contract arrangement because it would have been made in breach of that regulation?

Comment

That's a very wishy washy answer. Regulation 10 reads pretty clear to me, surely this would override any business contract arrangement because it would have been made in breach of that regulation?
                  You can hope that any particular item will solve a problem and you can use your interpretation of the rules to potentially push things in your direction but most of the time it isn't going to work.

If we knew what your problem was - then we might be able to give you decent advice but 1 clause by itself isn't anything as other things may override it. For instance it may mean you can work for the client but it doesn't mean the client can directly employ you (as that is covered by the client agency agreement you've never seen)...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Did they find you and put you forward for the role? Would you have the role if it wasn't for the agent?

Agents need to make a living as well.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X