• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its mostly tulip, contracted for 18 years before switching - now it's no longer come in, deliver/fix/improve then leave but absolute pointless tulip, going along with some idiot and the buzzwords they heard on the news over the weekend etc

on the flip side, I'm getting paid more than contracting, get paid holidays, paid pension plus another week or so / year off 'sick'.

Comment

Originally posted by mickymellon View Post
      its mostly tulip, contracted for 18 years before switching - now it's no longer come in, deliver/fix/improve then leave but absolute pointless tulip, going along with some idiot and the buzzwords they heard on the news over the weekend etc

on the flip side, I'm getting paid more than contracting, get paid holidays, paid pension plus another week or so / year off 'sick'.
      You have just described my first 19 years in IT!

Comment

I have found it to be fine. Currently on a 6 figure salary with bonuses on top, technology stack is modern, reviews are once a year and take about 5 minutes. Colleagues are friendly enough but I work from home twice a week, go to the gym every lunchtime and live miles away from the office so I do not know them any better than I knew my colleagues when I was contracting.

Some companies are probably horrible to work at but I like this one.

I do not have to worry about IR35 or new tax rules, my contract being canned and being back on the bench with a finite war chest. There is less pressure on me to keep my skills, contacts etc. up to date. My salary is paid every month regardless of whether I was in each day, had work to do etc.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          I have found it to be fine. Currently on a 6 figure salary with bonuses on top, technology stack is modern, reviews are once a year and take about 5 minutes. Colleagues are friendly enough but I work from home twice a week, go to the gym every lunchtime and live miles away from the office so I do not know them any better than I knew my colleagues when I was contracting.

I do not have to worry about IR35 or new tax rules, my contract being canned and being back on the bench with a finite war chest. There is less pressure on me to keep my skills, contacts etc. up to date. My salary is paid every month regardless of whether I was in each day, had work to do etc.
          Pretty much mirrors my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

That's exactly how I imagine hell must look like.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
              That's exactly how I imagine hell must look like.
              Care elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                Care elaborate?
                It sounds extremely boring.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                  It sounds extremely boring.
                  I wonder if, for many of us, contracting is an unconscious fear of intimacy.

Comment

Originally posted by surbiton flyer View Post
                    For perm - you have this wonderful things called yearly appraisals.......normally your 'performance' leads to your bonus/annual payrise and depending on the size of the company links into future promotion prospects so you may quickly learn that it's death by a thousand cuts
                    Based on my personal experience, I don't understand this hatred towards yearly appraisals.

In my career I've been permanent in big organisations with thousands of employees and yearly appraisals have never mattered one single bit when it was bonus time. Whether I had exceeded or simply met my objectives, I always got the maximum.

Yes they are a bit annoying to do but how long do they take? 1-2 afternoons? Big freaking deal....

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                      Based on my personal experience, I don't understand this hatred towards yearly appraisals.
                      I'd agree with this but as it turns out not for the reasons you do. It's a pain in the bum at worst and being a contractor we know how much use it is so don't need to get as upset about the results as the perms do. It's part of the job and it's not the worst.
                      In my career I've been permanent in big organisations with thousands of employees and yearly appraisals have never mattered one single bit when it was bonus time. Whether I had exceeded or simply met my objectives, I always got the maximum.
                      Well if that's the case I am sure you are in a tiny minority and will be based purely on your situation rather than a standard process. They most certainly don't give everyone max bonus per year. I'd go as far as to say you've shot yourself in the foot and they've been taking the piss out of you for years if this is the case. Looking back you might have been better off leaving and getting paid what you are worth rather than trying to catch up through yearly wage increases, which btw, rarely works as you never catch up.
                      Yes they are a bit annoying to do but how long do they take? 1-2 afternoons? Big freaking deal....
                      I'd agree with that as well. Hardly something worthy of hating perm gigs for.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X