• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work in Banking? Don't worry about the blanket ban you were probably inside all along

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Indeed. But looking at the facts here you couldn't blame them for not taking this on under their reasonable chance of win clause.

It also means other PMs at Nationwide and maybe other banks may find the insurance they have thinking it's keeping then safe suddenly isn't worth the paper it's not written on.

There could be a lot of fall out from this beyond the guy losing.
    Did you see my thread title?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Don't you mean too much SDC - Mr Lee had in practicea considerable degree of operational and personal autonomy but was subject to overarchingcontrols primarily concerned with Nationwide’s need as a highly regulated business tomonitor the progress of the relevant project consistent with Mr Lee being a highly skilledemployee.

And I can't see how you escape that in a bank...
      The point I'm trying to make about MoO is that if you're not Mr. Lee, you're contracted to deliver a piece of work and that you can get the client to understand that once that piece of work finishes the engagement ends (and get that documented) then for a considerable part of the flexible workforce they and their end clients are protected in the case of an IR35 investigation.

Or do I have this wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
        The point I'm trying to make about MoO is that if you're not Mr. Lee, you're contracted to deliver a piece of work and that you can get the client to understand that once that piece of work finishes the engagement ends (and get that documented) then for a considerable part of the flexible workforce they and their end clients are protected in the case of an IR35 investigation.

Or do I have this wrong?

Is that how your contracts have worked over the past 20 years - it's not mine.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Thank god ive never been a PM in a bank for extended periods !!!

Gets bag of popcorn to wait for knock at the door

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
          Might be picking something a little more comfortable to rub on your bum ready for the knock. Popcorn is just going to a bad situation worse.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Might be picking something a little more comfortable to rub on your bum ready for the knock. Popcorn is just going to a bad situation worse.
            Would it be fair to say PM ( or Product Owner or whatever faddy title is en vogue today ) is a higher risk category than say a developer due to the nature of the role lending itself to tighter client integration unless you're very, very careful in both contract terms and working practices?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Is that how your contracts have worked over the past 20 years - it's not mine.
              end clients weren't making decisions on ir35 20 years ago. I'm talking about as a defensive action to be used from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                end clients weren't making decisions on ir35 20 years ago. I'm talking about as a defensive action to be used from now on.

What in the next 32 days before the new rules kick in on April 6th and all banks adopt blanket bans on PSCs to avoid risk...

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                  Would it be fair to say PM ( or Product Owner or whatever faddy title is en vogue today ) is a higher risk category than say a developer due to the nature of the role lending itself to tighter client integration unless you're very, very careful in both contract terms and working practices?
                  Depends if you just roll on and on working in a very contract heavy environment. Either could be at risk but just feel PMs follow client process closer so can look more part and parcel than a developer who may code and move on/work on multiple items.

But if you are there for a long period, got a couple of projects under your belt and expecting to be given another when the one you are on finishes then you are now in the cross hairs.

Very much depends on each situation and don't have much to do with developers personally so not how thyr deliver.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    Thank god ive never been a PM in a bank for extended periods !!!

Gets shotgun to wait for knock at the door

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
                      This is the reason why IR35 is being enforced differently. The guy stayed for multiple projects in the same department. He worked at Nationwide for years. I am sure those who have varied contracts through different companies will be fine from being chased.

as NLUK says, this is bad for Permie-tractors!
                      I'm looking at this chap's linkedin profile as we speak.

In 12 years as a contractor, he only ever worked for 2 clients, both banks, with the longest stint being over 5 years.

Permietractor gets what permietractor deserves.

Loads of people are in the same situation at my current client (bank also). Fun times coming...

Comment

Working...
                      X