• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie employment contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie employment contract

just got a permie offer, decent package and handy(ish).
    don't much like this bit in the contract though.

6. HOURS OF WORK
    6.1 Your normal hours of work are 9.00 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Friday inclusive. You are, however, expected to work such additional hours as may be required for the proper performance of your duties. You will not be paid overtime.
    6.2 You agree that the 48-hour maximum working week limit in regulation 4 of the Working Time Regulations 1998 shall not apply to You. During your employment You may give the Company three months' written notice that You wish this opt out to cease to apply.

anyone know if this is normal?
    i haven't had a permie gig for donkeys.
    this sounds like selling myself into slavery though.
    I think i'll have to pass on this one.

Standard stuff. Can't see why either of these should be of any concern really.

Read up on the working times regs if you want to understand what it means to you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

trouble is, there's always requirements for weekend work.
      i'm not prepared to do 7 day weeks for no extra compensation.

Comment

Most employers will leave it to you to opt-in or out of the 48hr working time directive. Opting-in generally means you have to fill out timesheets so they can monitor your hours. (I believe it's only a breach of the 48hr a week directive if it's over 48hrs every week for 3 months so not much use anyway...but I could be wrong about this).

Re weekend or late evening work - again I'd expect most employers to give time-off in lieu...

--Jatinder

Comment

Yes its fairly normal. I dont have it in my current (permie) contract, but Im arguing I should get overtime now, especially as they just charge their clients for any overtime anway

Comment

Standard stuff - once on a management grade pay rate you won't get paid overtime but there is the flexibility for time off in lieu as required. The 48-hour waiver is no different to what you'd sign as a contractor, but you work 7 days (i.e. > 48 hours), get paid for 7 days as contractor if you want and the request arrives.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

6. HOURS OF WORK
              6.1 Your normal hours of work are 9.00 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Friday inclusive. You are, however, expected to work such additional hours as may be required for the proper performance of your duties. You will not be paid overtime.
              6.2 You agree that the 48-hour maximum working week limit in regulation 4 of the Working Time Regulations 1998 shall not apply to You. During your employment You may give the Company three months' written notice that You wish this opt out to cease to apply.

Yes I'd say that's standard. Generally if you're salaried rather than hourly paid you wouldn't get over time. I wouldn't expect that to extend to weekend working though. And if there came a point when I was regularly working 50 hours a week then I'd probably be having a discussion with them about resources.
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

That’s where you need to have a chat with your (potential) manager.

I agree with what the others have said, basically when you’re working in IT there will be times when you work longer than an 8 hour day, or might have to work weekends. Most managers will give you TOIL. But the HR department will want to cover themselves to say they don’t pay overtime, and you can’t sue if you’re asked to work a Sunday.
                If you’re happy not to get 1.5x at weekends, and your boss is happy to (unofficially) give you time off in lieu, then go for it.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

6. HOURS OF WORK

fairly standard. Just remember that you can pull a stress related sicky if they take the piss.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    fairly standard. Just remember that you can pull a stress related sicky if they take the piss.
                    what's that?
                    oh, yeh, sickies and holiday pay.
                    forgot about those.

Comment

Working...
                    X