• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor to perm - how much money to expect (part timer)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smatty View Post
    Day rates for my role were 450-650, perm roles tend to be 60-110k, typically below 80. Or 38 in govt which seems to be top of non management band.
    60k VS 38k in govt....

At these salaries, why would anyone ever want to work in govt?

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      60k VS 38k in govt....

Because they are tulipe and can’t get job in private sector

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Probably yes.

Also they lure you in with chunky pensions and other benefits such as wfh and flexi time, plus obviously the fact that you'll be paid to do feck all.

Comment

60k VS 38k in govt....

Well because 38K isn't the top of non-management, around these parts it's a smidge under 50K. Also I don't believe 60K jobs are ten a penny, not around here maybe London, and certainly won't have the same working conditions.

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          The arrogance is palpable, suggests everyone in private sector is not tulipe, which from experience is not the case.

Probably yes.

Also they lure you in with chunky pensions and other benefits such as wfh and flexi time, plus obviously the fact that you'll be paid to do feck all.
          You ruined this with your arrogance. But I'd suggest the smart money would be on a 50K role with it's pension and working conditions rather than 60K private with it's undoubtedly tulipe pension.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
            Well because 38K isn't the top of non-management, around these parts it's a smidge under 50K. Also I don't believe 60K jobs are ten a penny, not around here maybe London, and certainly won't have the same working conditions.

The arrogance is palpable, suggests everyone in private sector is not tulipe, which from experience is not the case.

You ruined this with your arrogance. But I'd suggest the smart money would be on a 50K role with it's pension and working conditions rather than 60K private with it's undoubtedly tulipe pension.
            So, kids, the lesson here is: public sector jobs make you sour and grumpy like gables.

Comment

So, kids, the lesson here is: public sector jobs make you sour and grumpy like gables.
              Absolutely not, neither sour nor grumpy, happy as I am switching between private and public sector contracts.

Maybe you just didn't like the reality of the truth.
              Last edited by gables; 25 November 2019, 17:26.

Comment

Contractor to perm - how much money to expect (part timer)

Being a permie makes you grumpy. Even more so in public sector as you’ve got to retire to make it worthwhile.
                Last edited by Lance; 25 November 2019, 17:54.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

60k VS 38k in govt....

Well some govt orgs give opportunities to get involved in stuff that private sector cannot, there's more motivations than just money

Comment

If money is your priority why are you even considering perm?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by ciaozio View Post
                      I am on 650, and I asked for 110k, while their offer was 90k. Didn't go well for anyone.
                      I had the same situation. Was on £550, offered perm, asked for £90k, they came back with £75k+10% bonus = £82K, pretty much said take it or leave it, I accepted, said they'd wait until 6 months was past to avoid paying agency fees. They then delayed the offer keeping me on a contract, then started suddenly finding spurious attitude problems, three months later I was gone.

Didn't go well at all! But no regrets

Comment

Working...
                      X