• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zero work to do on contract (confused!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Obviously showing active means people will contact you and if you constantly don't reply it raises suspicion. I've seen two contractors walked for appearing to be online and never responding. Being crap in general was also a factor though. Use with caution.

A good set of speakers turn up full for when you get a notification should be enough to wake you from your slumber on the couch... Apparently..
    Surely a script could reply appropriately to any IMs.

Comment

Sounds ideal to me :-)

Use the time to train yourself up on something, get to know how to use a tool, make a spreadsheet...

A troll will suggest that you must vacate the workplace immediately but they can usually be ignored...
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Obviously showing active means people will contact you and if you constantly don't reply it raises suspicion. I've seen two contractors walked for appearing to be online and never responding. Being crap in general was also a factor though. Use with caution.

A good set of speakers turn up full for when you get a notification should be enough to wake you from your slumber on the couch... Apparently..
        Yes, I had considered that! I'm currently on notice with next to nothing to do though so I reckon I'm ok to hang out it for my last week or so
        If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Surely you haven't read the Dune series monstrosity twice?
          The first book is definitely worth reading. The next two, to some extent. But after that...
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thank you, all, for your further comments. I've enjoyed reading through all you've had to say.

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
            Some good replies, I've also been in this position and if you are there as a helping hand to the "busy contractor" don't dismiss the idea that you being there was not his idea and he views you as competition hence him acting like a bit of an obstructive rse.
            You're so right PlanB. I have thought this, too, that my boss - the "busy contractor" didn't actually want me, hence why he doesn't delegate any tasks to me.

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
            This!!!

If you feel worthless not having nothing to do and being well paid... Imagine not having nothing to do and not being paid!

Find another gig first...
            CryingSheep, so true, so true! Better to be here without work but being paid, than without a contract and doing nothing at home and no pay either!

WordisBond - your advice/explanation on why this is probably happening is so eye-opening and really helped me. I have been thinking that the lack of work/responsibility is a reflection on my skills, personality, ability etc., so it's good to hear that it's most likely a budgeting issue. It really eased my self-worry, so thank you.

FIERCE TANK BATTLE - good idea on getting some reading material in .txt format. I'll definitely look into that. I'm also going to find an online course I could do. Upskill myself somehow.

I need to try and get more WFH days, but the "boss" is a bit funny about it. Heaven knows why as I never see him. Literally, do not see him. I've been in the office all day yesterday and today and not seen him yet. The week before I went on holiday, I saw him once that whole week. I'm constantly alone.

Ladymuck - yup we have to use Skype and be "available" which makes it worse as i can't move away from the computer. Googles mouse jiggler...

PCTNN I have no emails to send. I receive none and have none to send It's hilarious. I've never known anything like it. They are literally paying me to do nothing now. Nothing.

Thanks PerfectStorm - I am going to use the time now to try and learn something.

I'm not an IT folk, like most of you are, I'm a former journalist, with a 15+ career in magazine publishing under my belt. Was made redundant early last year (mags dying). Moved into this contract after 9 months out of work. Redundancy money had run out. I'm contracted here as Content and Communications Manager. Assumed I was contracted for my skills in editorial content creation but I've been given no writing/editing/content-based tasks as yet. The service I provide is content creation for print, digital, social, experiential etc.. But absolutely not being used to my level of expertise here. I've done data entry tasks and admin thus far.

The company is one of the top 5 richest companies in the world, so they can most definitely afford to pay me to do nothing, but it seems ridiculous. And I feel guilty, but part of that is me needing to shift my mindset from permie to contractor.

Like you've all said, ride it out. Use the time to my own personal advantage as best I can. Find another gig or wait to be told to leave. I had a real heart-to-heart last night with myself and all your advice helped me come to terms with this and I'm going to try and move forward today with positivity about the situation.

Keep on invoicing. Send client a weekly email to agree deliverables for next week. Let them ignore it if they wish.
            Like you've said, Old Greg, I'll regularly ask for more work and just let them ignore it. I think it will ease my guilty feelings of being paid for nothing!

Thanks all!
            Last edited by Bettz; 14 August 2019, 10:56.

Comment

OP

Tuesday-Friday - surf the web and crack one off in the toilets.
              Monday - watch TV and do the same.

If you're bored - leave.

Better result - get more WFH and you won't even have to pretend you're working....
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Better result - get more WFH and you won't even have to pretend you're working....
                Surely you would not inflict that on Mrs PC?

Comment

The benefit of upskilling is generally you're using the same software as you would for work, so you look like you're working.

Comment

Originally posted by Bettz View Post
                    Thank you, all, for your further comments. I've enjoyed reading through all you've had to say.

You're so right PlanB. I have thought this, too, that my boss - the "busy contractor" didn't actually want me, hence why he doesn't delegate any tasks to me.

CryingSheep, so true, so true! Better to be here without work but being paid, than without a contract and doing nothing at home and no pay either!

WordisBond - your advice/explanation on why this is probably happening is so eye-opening and really helped me. I have been thinking that the lack of work/responsibility is a reflection on my skills, personality, ability etc., so it's good to hear that it's most likely a budgeting issue. It really eased my self-worry, so thank you.

FIERCE TANK BATTLE - good idea on getting some reading material in .txt format. I'll definitely look into that. I'm also going to find an online course I could do. Upskill myself somehow.

I need to try and get more WFH days, but the "boss" is a bit funny about it. Heaven knows why as I never see him. Literally, do not see him. I've been in the office all day yesterday and today and not seen him yet. The week before I went on holiday, I saw him once that whole week. I'm constantly alone.

Ladymuck - yup we have to use Skype and be "available" which makes it worse as i can't move away from the computer. Googles mouse jiggler...

PCTNN I have no emails to send. I receive none and have none to send It's hilarious. I've never known anything like it. They are literally paying me to do nothing now. Nothing.

Thanks PerfectStorm - I am going to use the time now to try and learn something.

I'm not an IT folk, like most of you are, I'm a former journalist, with a 15+ career in magazine publishing under my belt. Was made redundant early last year (mags dying). Moved into this contract after 9 months out of work. Redundancy money had run out. I'm contracted here as Content and Communications Manager. Assumed I was contracted for my skills in editorial content creation but I've been given no writing/editing/content-based tasks as yet. The service I provide is content creation for print, digital, social, experiential etc.. But absolutely not being used to my level of expertise here. I've done data entry tasks and admin thus far.

The company is one of the top 5 richest companies in the world, so they can most definitely afford to pay me to do nothing, but it seems ridiculous. And I feel guilty, but part of that is me needing to shift my mindset from permie to contractor.

Like you've all said, ride it out. Use the time to my own personal advantage as best I can. Find another gig or wait to be told to leave. I had a real heart-to-heart last night with myself and all your advice helped me come to terms with this and I'm going to try and move forward today with positivity about the situation.

Like you've said, Old Greg, I'll regularly ask for more work and just let them ignore it. I think it will ease my guilty feelings of being paid for nothing!

Thanks all!
                    If you're a journalist, why aren't you hustling for freelance work? Interviewing and writing an article for West Midlands Manufacturing Monthly or some such.

Comment

If you're a journalist, why aren't you hustling for freelance work? Interviewing and writing an article for West Midlands Manufacturing Monthly or some such.
                      I do actually do freelance writing for others, but I have to do this in my own time or when I'm WFH and can use my own laptop. They won't agree more than Mondays WFH, and can't use the provided laptop Tues-Fri in their office for anything other than the [no] work I do for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X