• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving contract early...yikes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving contract early...yikes

Hi all - 1st time poster here.

I'm seriously considering leaving a contract early. It's the first time I'll have done it and I'm nervous.

From day 1, the hiring manage struggled to delegate anything, she's lovely but a really control freak. I've been drip fed discrete tasks and a) I'm bored most of the time, b) I'm not doing the role that was defined, c) she's told me that she wants to take on a new project role so wants me to back fill her role - which is super reactive, dull and logistical. Even further from the job I was hired to do.

Another role has come up elsewhere which in having a call about next week - if it plans out I'd like to take it. Otherwise I'd probably tread water and start actively looking elsewhere anyway.

I'm dreading telling them and giving my weeks notice - they will be really shocked, but they shouldn't be - given what I've said above.

Should I expect to be told to go right away? It's a weeks notice. Do you think my reasons are reasonable? My accountant thinks the role change is an IR35 alarm, at the very least.

Just looking for some advice on how to deliver the news really. And what to expect.

Rather than hand your notice in, why not tell her that you're not doing what you're hired to do, and if things don't improve, reluctantly you'll hand your notice in?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Surely you can wait another 4 months or however long your contract runs, always protect your reputation. If not discuss with the PM that it isn't for you.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

You've got to leave just for the IR35 status alone. She's treating you like a permie so you've got to go.

Just man up and get it done.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You've got to leave just for the IR35 status alone. She's treating you like a permie so you've got to go.

I sometimes wonder if you practice what you so matter-of-factly preach.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Helpful. Great first impression.

Comment

I'm actually hating what I'm doing. It's abouy 5% of what I was hired to do. I'm not sure I can hack another 5 months of it.

Comment

Start applying and give notice when you find something

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                  I sometimes wonder if you practice what you so matter-of-factly preach.
                  If I can. I've left a long term gig because the IR35 status became a real problem and after that long it was time to go.

I've also left a gig where there was nothing to do.

So sometimes yes, in many threads I've managed not to get myself in to the situation an OP has so not something I've had to practice.

Not sure why you and the OP are taking offence. It's just a straight response. I'll put a hug on the end of it next time.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 3 March 2019, 22:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Beezum View Post
                    I'm actually hating what I'm doing. It's abouy 5% of what I was hired to do. I'm not sure I can hack another 5 months of it.
                    Therefore you are being directed and controlled by the client so you are in trouble with IR35. MoO isn't looking good and I'd bet my last dollar you can't substitute.

Not sure why it's giving you a bad first impression. Just telling you how it is.

Comment

Working...
                    X