• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client requesting GDPR training

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client requesting GDPR training

I've done a search on this and (surprisingly perhaps) can't find anything on the forum about this,, so don't shoot me down if I've missed a thread somewhere.

My end client has recently requested everyone does the GDPR training course. They've included contractors in this.

Now, I don't think that, as an independent contractor working via my own Ltd, it is necessary to take part in this because MyCo has it's own GDPR policy.

Other contractors here must have come across this by now so I was curious about the general opinion on this before I talk to the client.

If you've been in this situation, have you just done it for a quiet life, or did you discuss with the client and not do it?
    Last edited by Dark Black; 4 October 2018, 09:18.
    Do what thou wilt

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    I've done a search on this and (surprisingly perhaps) can't find anything on the forum about this,, so don't shoot me down if I've a thread somewhere.

My end client has recently requested everyone does the GDPR training course. They've included contractors in this.

Now, I don't think that, as an independent contractor working via my own Ltd, it is necessary to take part in this because MyCo has it's own GDPR policy.

Other contractors here must have come across this by now so I was curious about the general opinion on this before I talk to the client.

If you've been in this situation, have you just done it for a quiet life, or did you discuss with the client and not do it?
    I'm guessing this will come under 'mandatory training' so basically if you wish to remain on-site, you'll need to comply. I personally would just do it & not make a big deal of it.
    Clarity is everything

Comment

Client asked everyone. I did it.
      I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

You are handling their data. Nothing wrong with giving you basic competency training to make sure it's safe.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yup, I look at these types of client requirements as compliance checks for handling the client's sensitive data and systems.

My current client removes access to all systems unless pass compliance and they re-check it every year or so and anyone failing compliance is reported to a director for a . As a contractor I expect that means termination of contract.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Its THEIR responsibility that those handling THEIR customer's data are competent to do so. So THEY are organising mandatory training for such people regardless of employment status.

You of course have your own policies for YOUR customer's data.

Take a day off at training & enjoy the biscuits.

just my take.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

the fact that you don't understand the difference between your clients GDPR policy and your own LTD company's, and the reason why they'd want you to know theirs, suggests that you would benefit from the training.

Just a thought.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                the fact that you don't understand the difference between your clients GDPR policy and your own LTD company's, and the reason why they'd want you to know theirs, suggests that you would benefit from the training.

Just a thought.
                This is generally the first thing that crosses my mind when these types of questions are asked as well. Surely some basic understanding (and maybe common sense) would make it clear what training is essential and what isn't. Thinking about what diligence a client should be doing to protect their data and not be splashed all over the papers should be pretty clear in most cases.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No matter how much end training IBs give their workers, temporary, contract, or permanent, their morals still seem to be in the gutter.

Personally I just do the training - 2 days when I started then around an hour a month.

Comment

Quote them two grand per day to deliver the training. Nick some slides off the interweb. Job's a good 'un.

Comment

Working...
                    X