• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract with no notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract with no notice period

I've been seeing a few threads about this subject but was wondering if anyone was ever in my situation...

I foolishly signed a contract where the client can give one weeks notice but I cannot give any notice. It's for five months. I'm half way through the contract and it's apparent that the role is definitely not for me - I'm just a bum on a seat not doing what I signed up for. I asked the client if they would end the contract as the work I had been interviewed for is not appearing (though it will in a few months time when sanctioned). They said they won't end the contract and assured me the work is coming. I'm turning down much more interesting roles because I cannot leave. I haven't approached the agent as I've been told they will sue for losses if I just quit. I know I'm a fool for signing such a contract but was assured it was the norm nowadays :/

Anyone been in a similar situation and how did they professionally end the contract without the clients consent.

You’re not a slave. You can leave. Be polite. Tell them you’re not available any more and would they like a substitute. Do it at the end of the timesheet period, after the timesheet is signed though.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Does that response answer the fear of being sued? Not that I think it would Ever come to that...

The only other fear would be someone withholding payment for submitted invoice; another area where a threat of legal action exists but how often does it happen?

Can I ask what is the payment cycle? If it is one week after invoice submission;

1. Find another contract to start on the 1st of the month.
      2. Submit timesheet on the last day of previous month.
      3. Tell existing client you are taking leave and won't be in for the week.
      4. Start new role.
      5. Ensure you have been paid one week down the line.
      6. Tell old client You're not coming back.

You're paid, it is neat, but it is not entirely professional and might (although doubtfully) produce an issue.

Comment

Do what they said ^

Alternatively just sit it out for another 2.5 months and start looking for a new gig in 8 weeks or so. It’s really not that long.

Comment

The beauty of offering a substitute puts the onus on the agency to either accept or they breach the contract. Assuming the right of substitution is in the contract.
          They can’t sue you if they breached.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            The beauty of offering a substitute puts the onus on the agency to either accept or they breach the contract. Assuming the right of substitution is in the contract.
            They can’t sue you if they breached.
            Unless they admit its a sham and one of your pillars crumble.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Stop washing.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Stop washing.
                good idea, and eat lots of beans, and bring curry to your desk for lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Unless they admit its a sham and one of your pillars crumble.
                  In which case you terminate with immediate effect because the contract was based on a false premise and this is a breach of warranty.
                  I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
                    In which case you terminate with immediate effect because the contract was based on a false premise and this is a breach of warranty.
                    In fact you sue for losses.

Comment

Working...
                    X