• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Management Training - London - Agile vs Standard and which one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    For true Agile, you'd need scrum master training rather than project management training.

Horses for courses and all that.
    Scrum has done a great job convincing people that Agile = Scrum (which to be fair, seems to almost always be the case with my clients). I'm not that old but I can still remember when it was just "agile" and meant nothing more than the simple principles of the agile manifesto, not Agile™. #getoffmylawn

Comment

QA I did a few with them.

Note if you are on the bench its worth asking them for late availability like flights. If the course is only half full anything they get from you is profit.

Remember courses are fully tax deductible out of IR35, if its £1k you only really pay about £500 after tax.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Remember courses are fully tax deductible out of IR35, if its £1k you only really pay about £500 after tax.
        This isn't carte blanche. There are rules about which ones are deductible and ones that aren't depending on what you do. If he's a BA looking to move in to PM'ing in the future then probably not.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Thank you.

Can you please elaborate more on that?

I am on bench now and I assumed that the cost of the course can be expensed as 'Staff training'. But didnt fully understand the above tax deductible point.

Comment

Originally posted by konsultant View Post
            Thank you.

Can you please elaborate more on that?

I am on bench now and I assumed that the cost of the course can be expensed as 'Staff training'. But didnt fully understand the above tax deductible point.
            His comment is too broad so could be incorrect in some instances.

It's only allowable if it is directly related to your fee-earning work. Nothing else. If you write .NET for a living, training in .NET and immediately related technology is all that's allowable.

Anything else - new technologies, business admin, sales, whatever - is expanding your skillset and out of scope. There is a detailed explanation on the HMRC website somewhere.

Comment

Agile is Developer/Development/Delivery focused and is TimeBoxed, whereas PMP / Prince2 follows traditional PM practices.

Clients that call themselves Agile are in fact follow traditional style higher up. If you are planning to work with Developers then former is better, otherwise the latter.

Comment

Do both PRINCE2 Practitioner and Agile Practitioner courses. Both you can self teach and then take the exam.

Agents don't know the difference between the two, but if you have these on your CV you have more chance of getting your foot in the door of any potential contract opening, backed up by demonstrating your experience when you are in of course...

Comment

Boy had to dredge this up

"They want to hear

Risk Analysis
                  Gantt Charts
                  Stakeholder commuinication matrix
                  Unit test, Black box test, white box test, shoe box test
                  Code libraries
                  Project Initiation Document
                  Sign off
                  Milestone planning
                  UAT
                  Training
                  Budget Managment
                  Customer Expectations

they want you to
                  Deliver everything as quickly as possible will not listen to any genuine issues which you raise which will delay go live = especially if it means they may look bad infront of their boss.

Ultimately you will be succesful if your skills are up to scratch you have some luck and when things go t!ts up you do not cop for all of the tulip."

From this thread

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...s-about-3.html

and this follow on thread

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...-box-test.html

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Boy had to dredge this up

"They want to hear

Risk Analysis
                    Gantt Charts
                    Stakeholder commuinication matrix
                    Unit test, Black box test, white box test, shoe box test
                    Code libraries
                    Project Initiation Document
                    Big fish, little fish, cardboard box!!

Comment

Originally posted by konsultant View Post
                      Ooooh now we get into the perm vs contract debate!

Anyways, back to my question please -

Tried and tested recommendations for training providers in the UK ?

Thanks
                      QA

Comment

Working...
                      X