• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting at SSE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting at SSE

A MASSIVE word of warning to anyone considering contracting at SSE.

I very recently started a contract at SSE in a town not a million miles away from where I live.

Very soon after arriving there, I was advised by a fellow contractor who had been there for 4 months that the said client had a reputation for getting rid of clients at short or little notice for trivial reasons. This fellow contractor said that in 4 months the said client had got through 8 contractors covering 3 roles.

A week ago one contractor went home for the weekend and his contract was terminated by the client who did not even have the courtesy to speak to him face to face.

On Thursday of last week, the hiring manager took me to one side and said they did not want me to use my mobile phone whilst on their premises or to talk to business and team colleagues whilst on their premises, except if talking to them on business related matters. I explained to the hiring manager that my mobile telephone use was merely checking my email as I am in the process of purchasing a house and that I wanted to check on progress of the purchase.

On Friday of last week, I had to use my mobile phone to check the balance of my bank account prior to making a time constrained payment with regard to the purchase of the house and a person unknown to me, who I'd never even spoken to before, very rudely said "haven't you got any work to do" to. I challenged this person and explained what I was doing. Incidentally, my time usage of my mobile amounted to just short of 3 minutes. As a direct consequence of this intervention, I have now lost out on the purchase of the house.

I spoke to the hiring manager this morning and tried to explain what had happened. It became apparent that the hiring manager was not prepared to listen nor to be flexible as I was interrupted. I then explained the hours that I had worked last week, in order to meet a deadline, were in excess of my contracted hours and that the difference was much more than the time I spent using my mobile.

This was a deal breaker for me and I informed the hiring manager that I no longer wanted to provide services to the client. I handed back my pass and walked out.

It begs the question, as to why there is such a high contractor turnover at this part of SSE.

Originally posted by UncleAlbert View Post
    It begs the question, as to why there is such a high contractor turnover at this part of SSE.
    I guess because they keep getting lumbered with lazy contractors that play on their phone all day and then just leave in the spot when questioned
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I guess because they keep getting lumbered with lazy contractors that play on their phone all day and then just leave in the spot when questioned
      perhaps they do but not from me.
      Anyway the word of warning is there for anyone considering a contract with them.

Comment

My god, I complained at my last client when they ran out of beer and nibbles when showing the 3pm World Cup games on the big screen

Comment

If you want some fun report him and other chap to HR for bulling, big companies go ape over these things

Comment

OP what you describe at SSE can be applied to many financial services companies. Trade Floor work for instance your usually not allowed to use a smart phone its a sackable offense on many so live prices cannot be streamed elsewhere (this would cost the banks millions if a competitor got a spy into a trade floor & live streamed their trades or sensitive price data).

SSE use their own energy market traders its probably just a default HR policy & certainly not uncommon nowadays outside of the Trading arena.

Not being funny but you should always keep your personal financial circumstances to yourself trying to close a house deal will anger many perms as they probably cannot afford this as much as contractors can you would do well in future to avoid revealing any income info like you can afford this to others as they can get very funny about it as you have just found out!

The existing staff already have the hump your even there to begin with so bear that in mind as there is a LOT of jealousy & anti contractor bias going around!

Comment

Quite unacceptable behaviour, and you were 100% right to tell them to stuff their job.

I don't see why you're not revealing the site in question. Perth?
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                If you want some fun report him and other chap to HR for bulling, big companies go ape over these things
                add discrimination as well
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  I don't see why you're not revealing the site in question. Perth?
                  Could be Reading as they've just moved to a huge office in the town centre.

Comment

Sounds like a contract I worked at many moons ago where the last manager I worked for (I was at this place for 5 years) wanted to micro manage his team. But it wasn't as bad as yours.

If you come up against this again (rare though), tricks you can do:
                    - go to the loo to check your phone
                    - setup a "meeting" with another person

Comment

Working...
                    X