• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiters not responding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiters not responding

Is the PM market in IT that bad.

I've made my CV searchable on Jobserve and posted at least 30-40 what I believe relevant jobs.
    And not a single call ..

even tied calling a few agents only to be told they either busy or on holiday and will call me if I'm suitable.

I must be doing something wrong ;-(

Originally posted by BiggieBig View Post

I've made my CV searchable on Jobserve and posted at least 30-40 what I believe relevant jobs.
    And not a single call ..

even tied calling a few agents only to be told they either busy or on holiday and will call me if I'm suitable.

I've only ever got one contract via ads / job boards. Work your network, particularly previous clients.

Comment

And get onto LinkedIn and stress your availability there.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And not a single call ..

My experience is that the PM market is buoyant at least in my area (midlands) and sector (logistics in general, niche in defence).

Been in contract for 15 months and still getting unsolicited calls from agents who, admittedly I have prior knowledge of. Grow your network and get on LinkedIn connecting to all your past contacts.

In my experience, the market is good but you have to put some more work in than previously.

Comment

You believe they are relevant? They either are or they aren't. It's in black and white in front of you.
          Do you really have exactly the skills they are looking for and delivered a number of similar if not the same projects before? In the same industry I.e. Retail, pharma, banking? If you haven't matched all those exactly then you weren't relevant. There are a hell of a lot of good PMs out there and you can bet there is one on the bench that fits the criteria exactly...
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And is your CV well enough presented?

Comment

yeah I work in banking and based in London

more of a technical PM

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                And is your CV well enough presented?
                I believe so been refined but never had an issue in the past 20 years

Comment

I believe so been refined but never had an issue in the past 20 years
                  Maybe it needs fresh eyes. Others have used an agency before. May be worth considering.

Comment

yeah I work in banking and based in London

more of a technical PM
                    PM in London is your biggest issue. Agencies get up to 750 CV's within a few hours. London is swamped with high quality candidates & few roles.

End clients all know this so do agencies & agents so your facing an extreme numbers game before you even get someone who matters (not the ex-supermarket workers or ex-commission sales people who are tasked with filtering the CV's they do not want to the agency account managers who decide which CV's to send) to even notice your CV.

...also forgot to add Banking in London especially is going through a major restructuring exercise. RBS have shed 1000s of contractors in the last few months so have several other major Inv Banks. They are nearly all outsourcing, offshoring, near shoring or simply cutting excess staff. PM is one such excess staff cost many PM's I know from Inv Banking are perms who were told to deliver major projects so they step away from their day to day role (which is backfilled by existing perm resource). Banks are also becoming highly risk averse & many compliance heads will only sign off on someone perm managing projects.

More than ever the Banks are shedding a LOT of people. Some deadwood who were lucky to keep their high paid jobs as long as they did but a lot of good people with impressive resumes are being dumped onto the already overcrowded London job market.

The more I see & hear from people I know the more I believe the last contractor boom wave from the software & hardware upgrades the banks did for Windows 7, Office 365, Cloud Services & newer software has now long finished & going forward most of the work will be real niche cutting edge stuff they cannot retrain or cross train their existing staff to do.

Unless your on the cutting edge if you previously did any PM, BA, Support or mainstream Dev work I think your chances of getting another contract are getting remoter by the day as there has been a massive shift in the supply & demand.
                    Last edited by uk contractor; 5 June 2018, 21:14.

Comment

Working...
                    X