• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agents fighting over a candidate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post
    To mitigate this you might want to explain the situation to Agent B, who can eventually "defend" you.

I have been in similar situation twice and mentioned to Agent B during the initial phone call, that some plonker already called about the role couple of days ago, but failed to request rights of representation, so Agent B can double check whether my CV is already with the client by any chance. In one case my CV was already with ClientCo, but upon explanation by Agent B, ClientCo was happy to go with Agent B. In the other Agent A didn't even bother, likely just trying to "eliminate" the competition. In both cases I got an interview.

Seems that you have handled the situation in a professional manner, so nothing to worry about.
    Unfortunately I've also been in more or less the same situation and i got turned down by the client in the car park before the interview because the agents were giving him grief. I'm sure I got unlucky and more often than not it can be worked out as you say.

I'm just wary now and avoidance of the situation is the best defense.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 16 May 2018, 11:58.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
      Yeah, I actually just did that.

I explained that while he didn't send me anything he had said he would, Agent B did everything by the book so there's nothing I can do now that I've given written consent to Agent B.

Looking forward to the reply!!
      Did you put it in writing?

Agents hate things in writing when there's a possibility they are in the wrong. Much prefer the sales-patter approach of vaguely talking about things.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Just hope they don't start bothering the client who decides not to see you at all to avoid the situation.
        Happened to me and cost a perm offer years ago
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Did you put it in writing?

Agents hate things in writing when there's a possibility they are in the wrong. Much prefer the sales-patter approach of vaguely talking about things.

I know what you mean. I do the same: I prefer things in writing when they benefit me but would rather leave things vague when I'm not 100% in the right haha.

In this case, I summarised the situation and sent it in writing to both agents.

Anyways, updates on the situation:

- agent B (the good one) said he explained the situation to the client and asked if I would be okay with the client call me in case they wanted me to clear out the confusion. I agreed but I'm not expecting any calls.

- agent A confirmed he has withdrawn my application and wished me luck. I replied apologising for the misunderstanding (even if he screwed up) and said hopefully we can work together in the future.

So yeah, I think I managed to keep it pretty classy and civilised. Now let's just hope the client hasn't already binned my CV

Thanks for all the replies and good advice. Really appreciated.

Comment

Ignore the agent making all the noise if they make a fuss with the end client then they will get blackballed so its all hot air!

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
              Yeah, I actually just did that.

I explained that while he didn't send me anything he had said he would, Agent B did everything by the book so there's nothing I can do now that I've given written consent to Agent B.

Looking forward to the reply!!
              Spot on - if (and it's a big if) Agent A has claimed you're unprofessional and Client interviews you and raises it as a curveball, you've already got the answer right there. Could easily get Agent A burned off the PSL for being unprofessional. Win-win.

Agent B sounds much more reliable.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                .... this. Keep it professional and factual. He was being lazy and has missed out and he's trying to bully you now he can see there might be some money in it
                Why the requirement to keep it professional?

The agent clearly isn't "keeping it professional" by trying it on when he knows full well that you've not provided any consent for his to be the sole representative.

Personally, I'd send a very firm but polite email (which you've already done) reminding him of the facts and that he hasn't got a leg to stand on to claim otherwise. If he responds to me again after that in any way, I'm telling him, in the most colourful and course language I can muster, that he can Foxtrot Oscar.

Don't allow these rapacious idiots to talk to you like that.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  Or reply with if he does not 'jog on' you will email his handler at the agency with details about why lost the exclusivity commitment due to his 'unprofessional' behaviour, am sure his boss would like to get that email (whats good for the goose and all that).
                  Unfortunately, there's a high degree of likelihood that the agent's "boss" already knows all about this and the agents' "unprofessional behaviour" has probably been instigated by said "boss".

Thick as thieves in these recruitment agency hives of villainy, you know!

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
                    Most clients won’t want to be involved in this squabbling even if there’s not a big fuss from the agent they’ll likely just bin your cv.
                    Got any evidence for that? Or is just a feeling in your water?

Multiplie submission happened many times when I was a hiring manager. I had a simple rule - whichever CV I happen to read first, the agency that sent me the CV gets the credit. I tended to read those from my (personally) preferred suppliers.

Any agency making a fuss gets canned.

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    Ignore the agent making all the noise if they make a fuss with the end client then they will get blackballed so its all hot air!
                    Had to can an agency a couple of times for threatening candidates they lost out on. Most satisfying. What people fail often to understand is that clients tend to have as high a regard towards agencies as contractors do.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Got any evidence for that? Or is just a feeling in your water?
                      Only once. The HR director pulled an interview I was meant to be doing as another agent came forward and kicked up a fuss about having an agreement first.

He couldn’t be bothered with getting “proof” or having to make a decision so binned it totally.

(He was a massive ego twunt though so maybe not a good example to base it on)

Comment

Working...
                      X