• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No contract end date?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoke to the agency, but they’ve been useless at getting anything done. So I’ve approached the contact rep at client (who agency had spoken to before on my behalf, in the past).
    Agency have finally got back to me after speaking to contact rep, they’ve said it’s ‘ongoing’ and contact rep (who works for client) will ‘be in touch with you’.

Comment

Contractor mental gymnastics aside, keep claiming - when you get within notice period of the 2 year point (should such a thing happen), stop claiming then. That’s the only way you’ll know, after all.,
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        Contractor mental gymnastics aside, keep claiming - when you get within notice period of the 2 year point (should such a thing happen), stop claiming then. That’s the only way you’ll know, after all.,
        The term HMRC use is expect, not know. With no end date on a long running project it's fair to say you'd expect to be there longer than 24 months as you have no evidence to the contrary. That's how HMRC will see it. If he does the above he'll claim up to 24 months and then have to pay the whole lot back, which many people wouldn't and leave themselves in a potentially risky situation.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          The term HMRC use is expect, not know. With no end date on a long running project it's fair to say you'd expect to be there longer than 24 months as you have no evidence to the contrary. That's how HMRC will see it. If he does the above he'll claim up to 24 months and then have to pay the whole lot back, which many people wouldn't and leave themselves in a potentially risky situation.
          Turn the tables - say you were looking at a new purchase, like a house or a car, that requires a large monthly payment. Would you 'expect' this client to still keep paying you for that long? That may give the answer
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            He's on an endless daily rate.
            Until it ends.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              Turn the tables - say you were looking at a new purchase, like a house or a car, that requires a large monthly payment. Would you 'expect' this client to still keep paying you for that long? That may give the answer
              Originally posted by TonyF View Post
              Until it ends.
              I don't really understand the scenario but remember this is HMRC we are talking about. With no end date the will pick the answer that suits them which is longer than 24 months. I must admit I can kinda get that as well, but that's my opinion and that's all it is.

The only safe thing to do is assume you are going to fall foul so don't claim anything. Keep all the receipts in case and if you do leave early stick it in, if you don't then nothing has changed. Claiming and getting caught having to pay 1000's back isn't the best move IMO.

Comment

To mitigate risk of an HMRC investigation and claiming expenses beyond the 24 month rule, simply give advance notice to client that you will be terminating the contract on the day before the 24 month rule is breached. So you now don't expect to be there for longer than 24 months.

Nearer the time if circumstances change and you do expect to be there longer, you stop claiming the expenses, like any one else that adheres to the 24 month rule. Just remember to revoke the notice previously given to the client, if they'll allow you to.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

My contract expired at the end of last month, but it is officially now ‘rolling’ as my useless recruiter likes to say.
                  The senior guy on the project is also a contractor, but he is recruiting for the client and told me the other day that a great contract candidate was offered a role but needed a end date on his contract, but ‘client doesn’t give end dates, end date could be tomorrow’ - then proceeded to laugh.

Anyway, less ranting, more to the point.
                  They’ve given me additional task and have asked me to help out with another project, which has meant more hours but same pay...should I ruffle some feathers and ask for more $$$

Client is far from relieable and would bat an eye at ending a contract

Comment

Originally posted by colonolcontractor View Post
                    My contract expired at the end of last month, but it is officially now ‘rolling’ as my useless recruiter likes to say.
                    The senior guy on the project is also a contractor, but he is recruiting for the client and told me the other day that a great contract candidate was offered a role but needed a end date on his contract, but ‘client doesn’t give end dates, end date could be tomorrow’ - then proceeded to laugh.

Anyway, less ranting, more to the point.
                    They’ve given me additional task and have asked me to help out with another project, which has meant more hours but same pay...should I ruffle some feathers and ask for more $$$

Client is far from relieable and would bat an eye at ending a contract
                    You want to sort your IR35 status out or leave IMO. Rolling contract? Assigned extra work not contracted for? Sounds more like a disguised permie role than a contract one.

Comment

Look at the sticky. The phrase I used was "anticipated end date". If you don't have an end date, you can't anticipate one. So claim up until either the 24th month or someone gives you a date. Worst case is you may have to pay back some over-claimed tax relief. Or you may get canned next week.

It's really not that difficult; don't overthink things.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X