• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

need some urgent clarification

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some urgent clarification

i have been in a rolling contract for a number of years with no issues. i was due to start a new project but is has been delayed. so since the new project has not started there is no money until it does. so i was asked to take holiday until it starts. how do i stand with this? it does not state anywhere in my contract about forced holidays. only the standard termination period.

Look for another contract until one materialises or this project starts. Unless specifically stated in your contract you have no guarantee this project will restart.

Comment

It's not a holiday, it's a period of no work. Why do you think a client should pay a contractor when there is no work for them to do?

HTH...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

it is a holiday when the company emails my agent stating i am taking extended holiday until the project starts.

remember i was given no notice at all about this. just asked to take holiday.

Comment

i think it is a holiday when the client emails my agent stating i am taking extended holiday without any notice to me. its not my fault they screwed up with there budget.

Comment

Originally posted by warleb View Post
            how do i stand with this? it does not state anywhere in my contract about forced holidays.
            What does it say about being paid to do nothing? If there is a clause that says that you are paid for nothing then please share the agency and client because there are probably lots of people who would want to do business with them on those terms.

Comment

it is a holiday when the company emails my agent stating i am taking extended holiday until the project starts.

remember i was given no notice at all about this. just asked to take holiday.
              It's not a holiday.
              Permanent employees take holidays.
              Contractors have time when they are not billing.

Next, what does your contract say?
              What is the notice period in your contract?
              If you've been working there a long time then you should have a reasonable warchest built up. Start looking for new contracts and make a call as to whether you want to stay on with your current client or seek something else.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

i think it is a holiday when the client emails my agent stating i am taking extended holiday without any notice to me. its not my fault they screwed up with there budget.
                It is a polite way of telling you to stay away until the new project starts.

(FFS do people really not understand social graces any more? )

Anyway as already stated look for a new contract as your "holiday" could end up being months. Also as you aren't a permanent employee they have no legal obligation to pay you.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Alternatively, terminate the contract now and then get a new contract sorted when they have the budget (on the presumption that you are still willing and available to do the work).

That gives you the freedom to find something else whilst still saving them money.

I wouldn't accept a vague "go away until we are ready for you and we don't know how long that will be" because that ties you into delivering for them when it suits them, even if it might not suit you. Plus if they termiante the contract now and you go back, you have the opportunity to get a rate increase when you have those negotiations.

Comment

I hope to god you are either through an umbrella or have the best IR35 insurance money can buy!!!!!

I don't even know where to start with this one.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X