• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left contract for a new one based on false promises. Help needed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No harm in sending a few letters to the agency, however if you leave a contract on the first or second day then the contract hasn't been honoured and the agency can counter sue.
    Of course there was a verbal agreement to end the contract, but what were the terms ? I find it perfectly reasonable for the client or agency to be compensated for prematurely ending the contract without notice.

I would only chase a case like this up if the agency had breached the contract and terminated it without notice
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 March 2018, 13:51.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      No harm in sending a few letters to the agency, however if you leave a contract on the first or second day then the contract hasn't been honoured and the agency can counter sue.
      Of course there was a verbal agreement to end the contract, but what were the terms ? I find it perfectly reasonable for the client or agency to be compensated for prematurely ending the contract without notice.

I would only chase a case like this up if the agency had breached the contract and terminated it without notice

Have to say, I agree with this. If it was a couple of weeks worth, might be up for pushing it, but for the sake of 2.5 days, I personally wouldn't think it worth the stress. You would be better spending your time and energy finding your next role, and feeling chuffed with yourself that you dodged a bullet. The threat of them countersuing me for breach of contract would be enough to scare the tulip out of me.

Comment

Why is this breach of contract? If the schedule names a 'home base' for their office, and the client changes that to somewhere miles away, the contract has surely materially changed?

Might have been worth suggesting that you travel in their time and bill them milage before bailing though?

If you hired a builder to do you a loft conversion and then the day he was due to start said, "Oh by the way, I've decided I want you to do my folks 100 miles away." Would you really expect him to honour the contract?
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
          Why is this breach of contract? If the schedule names a 'home base' for their office, and the client changes that to somewhere miles away, the contract has surely materially changed?

Might have been worth suggesting that you travel in their time and bill them milage before bailing though?

If you hired a builder to do you a loft conversion and then the day he was due to start said, "Oh by the way, I've decided I want you to do my folks 100 miles away." Would you really expect him to honour the contract?
          This is the route I’ve taken with my most recent emails, letters and general dunning. Funnily enough, they’ve gone extremely quiet all of sudden and have not been quoting all of the clauses and sub-clauses of the contract.
          They were very quick to respond in the past - they’ve either taken a decision to completely ignore me and not respond, or they don’t want to get into any more discussions regarding a contract which is invalid.

Comment

**UPDATE**

After a letter each way and a couple of emails following up, I've just received an email from the legal team at the agency stating that (to paraphrase) they will defend their case if I choose to take it further but if I decide to drop it now they will offer me 50% of what is owed.

I'm torn between three potential options:
            a) I'm definitely in the right, they know I'm right, and are trying to minimise their liability and save themselves half of the money. As a matter of principle and another £563, don't let them off the hook.
            b) Just drop it, take the 50-50 offer and move on.
            c) Give it a couple of days, then respond saying that I'll meet them halfway and accept 75%.

What would you guys do?

Comment

Originally posted by ChangePM View Post
              **UPDATE**

After a letter each way and a couple of emails following up, I've just received an email from the legal team at the agency stating that (to paraphrase) they will defend their case if I choose to take it further but if I decide to drop it now they will offer me 50% of what is owed.

a) I'm definitely in the right, they know I'm right, and are trying to minimise their liability and save themselves half of the money. As a matter of principle and another £563, don't let them off the hook.
              c) Give it a couple of days, then respond saying that I'll meet them halfway and accept 75%.

What would you guys do?
              You've got a massive win that most of us didn't expect you'd get. Take it and just move on. A) is just daft IMO. Life is too short for that rubbish. Remember it's not £563 in your pocket.
              C is mehhh on how much extra it is for the continued hassle, again remembering these are gross values and not what it's worth to your pocket.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 8 March 2018, 11:23.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

**UPDATE**

What would you guys do?
                Personally, I'm amazed you got anywhere. I'm a stickler for pushing things to the Nth degree, but in this instance I'd take the money and run.

Comment

What would you guys do?
                  I'd have claimed the full amount on my IPSE+ insurance and have it in the bank by now. HTH
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do you really want the extra hassle for £563 bank that and move on.

Comment

You can now put a pound amount on your principles. Only you can decide what they’re actually worth to you. (Hint: take the money and run).

Comment

Working...
                      X