• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First contract - pre employment screening in tier 1 bank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First contract - pre employment screening in tier 1 bank

Hi all,

Excuse my first post / first time contractor ignorance

I've accepted a contract at a tier 1 investment bank but stupidly sent an old CV that didn't include a three month role. The role was my most recent job, so as it stands it looks like I've been unemployed for the last 3/4 months. Major error basically. I reckon I have two options and could really do with some words of wisdom if anyone cares to share. Options as follows;

1.) Come clean, send an updated CV as soon as the screening team contact me and say I'm sorry, a mistake has been made. The omitted position is totally unrelated to the prospective role.

2.) Just go with the old CV and hope for the best. I hear though that IB's will ask for 'proof of unemployment'. Does anyone know what acceptable forms of said proof might be for a major IB? I have heard bank statements are the only form. Is this the case? I read this post that seems to allude to this but I'm struggling to get any real detail or confirmation

Thanks in advance all

Come clean, is my advice. I was vetted for the IB I'm in now and I was grateful throughout the process that I didn't lie on my CV.

If they hired you, they must be ok with you being out of work or 3 months; you actually being employed would only make you a stronger candidate.

Comment

+1 to the above.

Banks will do extended checks and uncover this.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 6 February 2018, 23:46.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Option 1.

Tell the truth, then you don't have to remember as much.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

What they said above.

Bit odd that the role you had for 3 months is completely unrelated to the prospective role though. It might look like you’ve omitted it on purpose if it was something random.

Either way they’ve offered it to you so they won’t pull your offer based on you sending an updated cv.

Part of the on-boarding checks they may ask for a copy of your cv anyway, in my experience they always have, as they don’t want the one which comes from the agents.

Comment

Originally posted by sketchandsunshine View Post
            What they said above.

Bit odd that the role you had for 3 months is completely unrelated to the prospective role though. It might look like you’ve omitted it on purpose if it was something random.

Either way they’ve offered it to you so they won’t pull your offer based on you sending an updated cv.

Part of the on-boarding checks they may ask for a copy of your cv anyway, in my experience they always have, as they don’t want the one which comes from the agents.
            That's what I thought. Much easier to believe than 'accidently sent the wrong CV'.

And yes, if the information changes their decision they could quite well pull the offer. The OP has misrepresented himself so the original offer could be deemed invalid..

Comment

I've done a variation on 2 and no one noticed it, as the check is done by another agency, not the recruitment agency. So I filled out the screening agencies forms correctly, so I didn't have to explain any gaps
              Last edited by Eirikur; 7 February 2018, 10:02.

Comment

confused??

Originally posted by griff2010 View Post
                Hi all,

Excuse my first post / first time contractor ignorance

I've accepted a contract at a tier 1 investment bank but stupidly sent an old CV that didn't include a three month role. The role was my most recent job, so as it stands it looks like I've been unemployed for the last 3/4 months. Major error basically. I reckon I have two options and could really do with some words of wisdom if anyone cares to share. Options as follows;

1.) Come clean, send an updated CV as soon as the screening team contact me and say I'm sorry, a mistake has been made. The omitted position is totally unrelated to the prospective role.

2.) Just go with the old CV and hope for the best. I hear though that IB's will ask for 'proof of unemployment'. Does anyone know what acceptable forms of said proof might be for a major IB? I have heard bank statements are the only form. Is this the case? I read this post that seems to allude to this but I'm struggling to get any real detail or confirmation

Thanks in advance all
                Please remember you are "Employed" by your own limited company - You had a contract with your previous "Client" you are never "unemployed" between "Clients"

Pre-employment screening is a box ticking exercise by drowns please make sure you updated CV has

correct From To Dates (Jan 2016 - Feb 2017) - and Correct Title (Project Manager) - these are only things they check

I once nearly did not pass as I had change Manager rather than Project Manager on my CV, and past agent had me down wrong

Also some banks you will fail pre-contract checks with a few late credit card payments on your credit file, others only with a default

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                  Please remember you are "Employed" by your own limited company - You had a contract with your previous "Client" you are never "unemployed" between "Clients"
                  This was my first thought but bearing in mind the OP says this is his first contract I assumed he really did mean employed. Its also possible they actually call it. That said good general point made.

The second thing that struck me was if it was just for three months it sounds awfully like a probationary period that didn't work out which is why he might have 'forgotten' to include it.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 7 February 2018, 11:52.

Comment

Come clean & hope for the best but many will decline your application due to the dishonesty angle even if its a genuine mistake they do not hear that bit just assume what else is not factually correct either & dig deeper as its sounds very suspicious as it appears you did not want to mention it some reason even in the interview it proves your dishonest for not talking about it when they ask what have you been doing recently! They are pointless box ticking exercise anyway as existing staff do not have to face the same level of scrutiny so unless its a level playing field for all its a waste of time & money as existing staff are just as (if not more capable) of doing naughty things onsite with data & other scams than outsiders. It should just be police & credit checks as well as bank statements but they go too far on the must check the cv indepth & get references which mean nothing anyway as no-one can give you a bad reference. They may even decline a reference purely because their internal compliance data protection policy insists on that!

Good luck but if you do not hear anything back within a few days move onto something else.

Comment

Working...
                    X