• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training offshore resources

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my client is in the midst of a big outsourcing, and they have asked me to train up a small team of offshore workers on my system. I want a better rate for this, but I'm not sure how much to ask for. I'm thinking just over double for a 6 to 9 month programme where I will be doing my existing job in addition to some cross-training.

I'm on a reasonable rate, and there is plenty of work in my field, but I'm thinking that this outsourcing company will become a competitor if I start training them up, so I'll be limiting my market.

Originally posted by tpsman View Post
    So my client is in the midst of a big outsourcing, and they have asked me to train up a small team of offshore workers on my system. I want a better rate for this, but I'm not sure how much to ask for. I'm thinking just over double for a 6 to 9 month programme where I will be doing my existing job in addition to some cross-training.

I'm on a reasonable rate, and there is plenty of work in my field, but I'm thinking that this outsourcing company will become a competitor if I start training them up, so I'll be limiting my market.
    Double your rate to do some training which isn't even full time? You think they are going to swallow that? Sounds a bit steep. Maybe they should be calling it over handover instead which should be part of your role?

I don't think attempting to limit the competition on clients time is really the way to go.

What does your existing contract or work schedule say? You could imagine handover of anything you create would be part and parcel of the job but if your work schedule is very explicit and detailed you've got room for negotiation. If it's pretty generic and it's possible to argue training/handover is just another task you are going to be struggling to justify charging extra or not doing it.

Think ahead about what you think the client will do if you demand this and that so you can counter it. Also might help work out what would and wouldn't be reasonable in your situation.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

JUDAS!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Double your rate to do some training which isn't even full time? You think they are going to swallow that? Sounds a bit steep. Maybe they should be calling it over handover instead which should be part of your role?

I don't think attempting to limit the competition on clients time is really the way to go.

What does your existing contract or work schedule say? You could imagine handover of anything you create would be part and parcel of the job but if your work schedule is very explicit and detailed you've got room for negotiation. If it's pretty generic and it's possible to argue training/handover is just another task you are going to be struggling to justify charging extra or not doing it.

Think ahead about what you think the client will do if you demand this and that so you can counter it. Also might help work out what would and wouldn't be reasonable in your situation.
        Disagree totally. We are not in business to create competitors, especially ones that are going to undercut our rates. If your client wants to take on people with no skills in the job, that's their concern; it's not up to you to convert them.

Personally I wouldn't worry about upping your rate if there's other work reliably out there. Just say no and walk away as soon as you can; you'll be out in a matter of months anyway.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Disagree totally. We are not in business to create competitors, especially ones that are going to undercut our rates. If your client wants to take on people with no skills in the job, that's their concern; it's not up to you to convert them.

Personally I wouldn't worry about upping your rate if there's other work reliably out there. Just say no and walk away as soon as you can; you'll be out in a matter of months anyway.
          Possibly but will depend on the nature and scope of his engagement and whether or not you consider some newly trained offshore resources as competition.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Possibly but will depend on the nature and scope of his engagement and whether or not you consider some newly trained offshore resources as competition.
            If they aren't, why train them?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

I understand your point but it's not the right direction.

If the OP refuses to train the team, the client will find another resource to train them. If there is a lot of work in the field I don't see an option that will put the OP in a bad position and lose the client possibility forever.

The better option for this would be increasing the rate, not the double but a good percentage depending if is long or short-term training.

If you have afraid of the competition be the best at it.

Comment

I was thinking pretty much exactly what Mal has said above.

Years ago I had to train 5 offshore resources, to cover the one role I was contracted to carry out in London. I knew the contract would come to an end due to the shift to offshore teams. But still, I played along enthusiastically and (no kidding) even wrote a 100+ page document for them too, and I thought this would mean I'd keep good relations with clientco - but of course, that didn't happen.

It was all meaningless for me in the end, and soul-destroying at the time.

It's not your job to train offshore graduates how to do your work. Even for double the money for 6 months, it won't be worth having the life sucked out of you and seeing your work bastardised and trivialized.

You appear to be confident of other opportunities. Your best bet is to get out now - only then will the client realize what they're missing.

Comment

I wouldn't consider them as competition - but training and supporting offshore teams can be soul destroying. As others have said try and escape asap - you'll thank us for that advice long term....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm like you in a field of dev with loads of opportunities. I begin to limit my exposure to a project as soon as offshore training becomes a part of it. Not worth my time when I could be on the same rate elsewhere actually building something.

Comment

Working...
                    X