• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three (!) week Christmas contractor furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Each to their own I suppose, but we don't know the financial circumstances of the OP - If he was on a 3 month contract covering December, then in reality he's suddenly on a 2 and a bit one - makes a big difference if you are coming back from a longish period of bench time.

I tend to budget for 2 weeks off. It would annoy me also if the client had decided I was taking 3!
    It’s just the first enforced three-week Christmas break I’ve encountered in many years. My current contract runs until late March.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      No problem with that. How many days can contractors bill for?
      Personally, I plan to invoice for 32 days in December and will work remotley.

I laugh at these peasants having to invoice for 4 days only in December, they deserve to be where they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
        Personally, I plan to invoice for 32 days in December and will work remotley.

I laugh at these peasants having to invoice for 4 days only in December, they deserve to be where they are.
        NMW sounds tough but I salute you for doing your best.

Comment

Originally posted by BackupBoy View Post
          It’s just the first enforced three-week Christmas break I’ve encountered in many years. My current contract runs until late March.
          On your death bed you will clearly say "I wish I spent more time invoicing in December 2017".

Btw Since I started working in IT I only have had one client who wanted me in over Christmas and New Year. I was p*ssed as not even my permie employers tried that.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Three (!) week Christmas contractor furlough

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            On your death bed you will clearly say "I wish I spent more time invoicing in December 2017".
            No, I won’t. I really won’t.

I don’t care that much. I’m on holiday next week, my choice, my financial hit.

It was the fact that it was three weeks that made it unusual in my experience.

Lesson learned.
            Last edited by BackupBoy; 12 October 2017, 07:55.

Comment

Originally posted by BackupBoy View Post
              No, I won’t. I really won’t.

I don’t care that much. I’m on holiday next week, my choice, my financial hit.

It was the fact that it was three weeks that made it unusual in my experience.

Lesson learned.
              That's fair enough. But I guess you may as well make the most of it. And then of course if you ever need to hand in one month's notice at this client, don't be afraid to first advise them that you will be unavailable to provide services for a period of three weeks, starting in 10 (or so) days' time.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                That's because you don't understand your clients and their business.

But you said he gave everyone a pep talk. Not just you. Just don't be so precious.

It's not about the money. Refer to my first point.
                NLUK - After 30+ years in the business I think I do to be honest.

Most clients wouldnt try this one on. Would you really work tons of extra hours in jan to cover off the work missed in dec?
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You know if you stopped wasting time on here, gossiping, surfing the web etc and just having short breaks throughout the day to get a drink, go to the toilet and go to lunch then you won't have to work longer hours.
                  26281 posts - long time on bench or during clients time?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    NLUK - After 30+ years in the business I think I do to be honest.

Most clients wouldnt try this one on. Would you really work tons of extra hours in jan to cover off the work missed in dec?
                    You posts often suggest otherwise but I was alluding to your point about contractor downtime over Xmas being for penny pinching.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      You posts often suggest otherwise but I was alluding to your point about contractor downtime over Xmas being for penny pinching.
                      Im older than you think just maybe not as mature :-)

First IT role was COBOL programmer (in 1987).

Comment

Working...
                      X