• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three (!) week Christmas contractor furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mccark View Post
    Up until recently I hadn't heard of the word "Furlough" but next week I will be starting one. All contractors at RBS are being stood down from Dec 6th until Jan 2nd for the Contractor Furlough. Almost a full month without earning and with lots of outgoings... Gulp.
    That's what your warchest is for... Smooths out the bumps nice.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Up until recently I hadn't heard of the word "Furlough" but next week I will be starting one. All contractors at RBS are being stood down from Dec 6th until Jan 2nd for the Contractor Furlough. Almost a full month without earning and with lots of outgoings... Gulp.
      That's a bit steep. Give them a months notice on monday and find another gig. See how they like them apples.

Comment

Lucky that's all the contractors are getting. Your warchest should be able to cope OK.

RBS to close one in four branches and shed 680 jobs - BBC News
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          That's what your warchest is for... Smooths out the bumps nice.
          It's still a lot to take, having the client decide that your turnover will drop by 1/12th. I'm not there, so it doesn't effect me, but I'd be pissed off if I was. 2 weeks I'm happy with, 3 at a push, but dictating that you have to take pretty much a whole month off is a bit extreme. I bet they would kick up a stink if the contractors decided that they were having a month long furlough.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Just been told of a surprise furlough - unfortunately it's the end of the contract so it's also an early finish. Nice big surprise holiday it is!

Warm up the bench, chaps
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
              It's still a lot to take, having the client decide that your turnover will drop by 1/12th. I'm not there, so it doesn't effect me, but I'd be pissed off if I was. 2 weeks I'm happy with, 3 at a push, but dictating that you have to take pretty much a whole month off is a bit extreme. I bet they would kick up a stink if the contractors decided that they were having a month long furlough.
              Do it and enjoy the time off. Life is too short. 11/12 turnover is still pretty substantial to most of us...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                Do it and enjoy the time off. Life is too short. 11/12 turnover is still pretty substantial to most of us...
                I don't mind taking time off - asking me to take time off with less than equal prior notice would however result in me telling them to foff.

Interestingly I've got the opposite problem and I'm trying to ensure I get the 27-30th off as I'm already booked to be away then...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                  He who pays the piper, calls the tune.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                  X