• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Thinking of taking a ridiculously low local contact...How to get best out of it..??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #11
    Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    Two rules I am considering are..

    1. something is better than nothing
    2. Good name added to my CV
    Go for it then.

    Take the cut and then in two months you either double your rate for doing the same job, which I believe happens all the time, or you'll double the rate by going elsewhere with the name of a great client (who underpays) on your CV.

    I can't see any downside to this at all.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

    Comment


      #12
      Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
      1. something is better than nothing
      Not true in many cases, particularly STD's
      2. Good name added to my CV
      Not much help when the rest of the CV is utter tripe.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

      Comment


        #13
        Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Go for it then.

        Take the cut and then in two months you either double your rate for doing the same job, which I believe happens all the time, or you'll double the rate by going elsewhere with the name of a great client (who underpays) on your CV.

        I can't see any downside to this at all.
        point 3. 5 minutes drive from home

        Comment


          #14
          Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Not true in many cases, particularly STD's

          Not much help when the rest of the CV is utter tripe.
          Thanks..
          that made your post count to 32,604.

          Comment


            #15
            Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
            point 3. 5 minutes drive from home
            that's possibly a reason for taking a slightly lower rate for a contract. Its not a reason for taking a contract at a rate you don't like while dreaming you can justify doubling the rate down the line (hint that aren't going to happen).

            It's a contract. The only things that matters are:

            1) Can you cope or do you need the rate being offered (adding the second bit as you don't like the rate). However the rate is the rate and you aren't going to double it down the line. You probably won't even get a 5% increase come renewal...
            2) will you stay there long enough for it to help your CV rather than make it worse.... 2 months in a testing contract isn't really go to help your CV is it...
            3) are you sure this client doesn't have a rep for paying low rates because they use low quality contractors. I've seen that in the past and what may to you look like a good name may to an agent not look so good....
            Last edited by eek; 5 September 2017, 16:41.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

            Comment


              #16
              Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
              point 3. 5 minutes drive from home
              And?

              I've had contracts that are 0 minutes from home but pay a decent rate.

              Travel isn't a consideration.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

              Comment


                #17
                Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                Thinking of taking a ridiculously low local contact...How to get best out of it..??

                I am thinking of taking a ridiculously low rate contract (50% of last rate) local role as I couldn't find any better one so far.!

                Good end client...good addition to my CV.

                What is the best strategy to get best out of this role..?. Basically at the end of 2 month's term I should be able to get back to normal rate with this client or need to fetch a better role piggybacking this one. What way i should operate..??
                2 months? really?
                I've taken a cut for my current role. Fantastic client, will make my CV look choong ( according to my young niece). Was contacted directly by an agent today on the recommendation of a friend to be put forward for a role paying more than double what I'm on. It's a no from me. Unless anything happens to the contrary I will stay here until the end of my contract, derive as much benefit from the gig as possible and have recruiters fight to get five minutes of my time once I'm available. It's not always about the money.

                Comment


                  #18
                  Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                  2 months? really?
                  I've taken a cut for my current role. Fantastic client, will make my CV look choong ( according to my young niece). Was contacted directly by an agent today on the recommendation of a friend to be put forward for a role paying more than double what I'm on. It's a no from me. Unless anything happens to the contrary I will stay here until the end of my contract, derive as much benefit from the gig as possible and have recruiters fight to get five minutes of my time once I'm available. It's not always about the money.
                  Exactly. Not always about the money.
                  What is valuable is to actually finish a project you said you were going to do.
                  See You Next Tuesday

                  Comment


                    #19
                    Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                    Ok...
                    Be sure to start more threads should you have further questions.

                    Comment


                      #20
                      Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      Be sure to start more threads should you have further questions.


                      Oh behave!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X