• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of taking a ridiculously low local contact...How to get best out of it..??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take it. Try to get a permanent job with them.

Comment

Take it. I did a role once that was half normal rate because:-

1.) I was skint and on JSA at the time.
      2.) It was a decent enough role.

Only stayed for 3 months of initial gig but it was decent enough.It was NHS and client manager was good as gold. He knew the rate was crap and was a realist. He had no illusions that contractors would leave and was ok if you invoked the one week notice. In the end I stayed the full 3 months.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Take it. I did a role once that was half normal rate because:-

1.) I was skint and on JSA at the time.
        2.) It was a decent enough role.

Only stayed for 3 months of initial gig but it was decent enough.It was NHS and client manager was good as gold. He knew the rate was crap and was a realist. He had no illusions that contractors would leave and was ok if you invoked the one week notice. In the end I stayed the full 3 months.
        They sound like a decent bunch. Did they agree not to offer you a renewal so you could legitimately sign on again?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          They sound like a decent bunch. Did they agree not to offer you a renewal so you could legitimately sign on again?
          went to a new gig :-)
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            went to a new gig :-)
            #jesuispsychocandy

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Question is.. Should you really be contracting at all??
              How come this muppet is allowed to troll in the professional forums by Admin doing sweet FA yet others are jumped on?

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                How come this muppet is allowed to troll in the professional forums by Admin doing sweet FA yet others are jumped on?
                Could I politely remind you to adhere to the standards expected in the professional fora:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...al-forums.html

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                  Thinking of taking a ridiculously low local contact...How to get best out of it..??

I am thinking of taking a ridiculously low rate contract (50% of last rate) local role as I couldn't find any better one so far.!

Good end client...good addition to my CV.

What is the best strategy to get best out of this role..?. Basically at the end of 2 month's term I should be able to get back to normal rate with this client or need to fetch a better role piggybacking this one. What way i should operate..??
                  You either bite the bullet and do the job for the low rate or not. The danger is they want to extend you at the low rate. Why should they increase it at renewal just because you've knocked yourself out for them?

It's a tough one since 90 or even 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Id say if you do take it, be prepared for an extension and what you'll do then.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                    Moderators pet, innit?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      Could I politely remind you to adhere to the standards expected in the professional fora:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...al-forums.html
                      It appears the poster I quoted regularly trolls within the professional forums and the Admins keep letting him do this yet, they ban others for lesser infringements.

Comment

Working...
                      X