• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobbing/Bullying?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobbing/Bullying?

Hi all,

I recently started a new contract, been in about 6 weeks and I am having a nightmare time. I sit alongside a permie who somehow has taking a disliking to me. It all began when I challenged something and wasn't satisfied with the response I received from permie girl next to me and few other members of the team so I spoke to the director about how to go about a certain issue.

After this incident I noticed that I was sort of being ignored, not included in conversations, people looking at me in a funny way (and I am sure this is because of the permie next to me spreading rumours that I am incompetent). On a few occasions I have felt undermined, made to feel stupid and belittled because of the way she has spoken to me in front of other colleagues. I feel that my integrity and reputation are being affected by this behaviour. I can't help but feel the permie girl is feeling threatened as I am showing initiative and doing my job the way I always do.

After all of this going on one afternoon after lunch I am called into a meeting room with the manager and the permie girl. Manager tells me that there have been complaints with regards to my tone of voice whilst speaking to permie girl and this has come from a few other team members. I am totally shocked at being ambushed like this and not expecting this at all. Please note that the manager and permie are also friends outside work and it is apparent that permie has complained to manager - and apparently other people too. Within this meeting the permie raises her voice at me several time making accusations and almost shouting and this is not stopped. I try to say my side of events but I am stopped by manager and told to stop flailing my arms about which is unfair as I was merely using hands to express what I was saying - apparently its a mediation session but I feel that this was not impartial or fair seeing as they are friends. Also the fact that I had no idea this `mediation` was going to happen. This was clearly planned in advance and I had no idea so I walked into something not knowing what I was going to say whilst permie had a chance to plan. I did ask who had complained but they couldn't tell me as it wasn't fair to do so. So now I am working within a team not knowing who has snaked.

After this `meeting` I can't help but burst into tears - usually I am very composed but I do feel `cornered, targeted and dare I say it bullied`The next day the atmosphere within the team is odd, a few people are hovering around permie desk having a good old look at me and again I feel intimidated as its clear that gossip has been spread.

Now I am dreading going into work each day and I am actually sitting this bank holiday weekend upset instead of enjoying it. What complicates matters even further is that the permie girl has been put in charge of checking my work - I am worried about IR35 to be reporting to a permie for checking my work. Not sure what to do at all. I did tell her that I manage my own workload and time management but she said well maybe you need to adapt to how things are done here. This has never happened to me before so I am just shocked at my treatment here. Any advice anyone?

Either toughen up or walk. You can't win this battle.

Comment

Sadly this sounds like a classic case of you simply not fitting with the team. I don't mean that as a reflection on you but more that their style is a clash for yours.

Similar happened to a friend of mine. We met on a gig where I got to see first hand how she was being undermined on a daily basis purely because her approach to the job clashed with that of the PM she was working with. She chose to not renew after her initial term was up, moved on to another company, and is a heck of a lot happier for it.

I am personally of the opinion that life is too short to be miserable at work and, if I were in that situation, I would look to leave as soon as practically possible.

Comment

If I decide to walk, can they withhold payment for the days that I have worked as I noticed that my recent time-sheet wasn't approved for some reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Northernercontractor View Post
          If I decide to walk, can they withhold payment for the days that I have worked as I noticed that my recent time-sheet wasn't approved for some reason?
          It will be difficult for you to get paid without a signed timesheet if you opted out. If you're opted in, then you're a bit more protected and the agency will have to prove breach of contract IIRC.

Ask if there is an issue preventing approval of your time sheet. If they claim sub standard work, ask for detailed feedback so you can correct it. Get it all in writing - if necessary, take minutes and email them around as confirmation. If they're going to be nasty, you need evidence if you're going to take a legal recovery route.

Most of the time, things don't get that bad as no-one wants the hassle but it's best to be prepared.

Also, check the terms of your contract and what your notice period is.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            It will be difficult for you to get paid without a signed timesheet if you opted out. If you're opted in, then you're a bit more protected and the agency will have to prove breach of contract IIRC.

Ask if there is an issue preventing approval of your time sheet. If they claim sub standard work, ask for detailed feedback so you can correct it. Get it all in writing - if necessary, take minutes and email them around as confirmation. If they're going to be nasty, you need evidence if you're going to take a legal recovery route.

Most of the time, things don't get that bad as no-one wants the hassle but it's best to be prepared.

Also, check the terms of your contract and what your notice period is.
            It's a weeks notice but I don't even know if I can hold on that long. I am feeling sick with stress and the thought of going in is giving my such anxiety. Can they do anything if I just leave without notice given the circumstances?

Comment

Originally posted by Northernercontractor View Post
              It's a weeks notice but I don't even know if I can hold on that long. I am feeling sick with stress and the thought of going in is giving my such anxiety. Can they do anything if I just leave without notice given the circumstances?
              Yeah refuse to pay you.

Seen it happen when contractors just walk out.

Give them a week's notice and talk to the permie manager as you may be able to leave before.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Getting on the wrong side of people and being sidelined is so common, I would see this as a tremendous opportunity to get used to it. Just let it wash all over you, and keep invoicing. Don't get flustered, don't get into any arguments about how to do things, do it their way, in the end who gives a sh*t. In a week you'll feel a lot better. They can't hang you upside down or put your head down the toilet, all they can do is criticise a piece of code, if it works they can't even really do that. Arguing about how to do things in Software Engineering is such a huge waste of time.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 August 2017, 15:19.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Not being liked is never pleasant, but, for me at least, is not a good enough reason on its own for terminating a contract.

For me, the differentiator is whether or not you are actually able to do the job you were originally brought in to do. If you can, then hang in there and get the job done. If not, there's no point staying.

Comment

Is mobbing an English word for workplace bullying now? (I first encountered it being used that way by Germans).

You got paid (more than the permie) to be told off. That should take the sting off somewhat. I'm with the others on this one - you can't win.

1) Make a note of everything that's going on, dates and times. This is to cover your own back. Your opponents won't be taking notes.
                    2) If there are any further complaints from the management the correct response is "If you don't like how I work, you can always terminate my contract". That should get your released pretty quickly.

A few days pay is not worth your mental health. You can always invoice for work done, and then start debt collection proceedings if the invoices aren't paid. It seems you're in a toxic environment. All you can do is get out asap.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X