• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contracting in IT

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back to topic so don't want to side track this.

All I want to ask and appreciate people input is ,

Why do you do contracting?

Is income significantly more?

Is market ok ? how often do you normaly wait before contracts?

why would you not do contracing?

Comment

Originally posted by stranger12 View Post

why would you not do contracing?
      Because I don't like gladiators and can't bleed a radiator
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why do you do contracting? To earn 2-3 times as much for the equivalent job with less bull***t to put up with.

Is income significantly more? If you can remain 'in contract' for most of the year, yes. If you quit your job to get a 3 month gig, get canned after 6 weeks and spend 6 months on the bench - no.

Is market ok ? how often do you normaly wait before contracts? The market goes UP and the market goes DOWN. Depending on the economic cycle and how much in demand your skills are this will either be a minor annoyance, or a major disaster. In between contracts, anywhere between 1 day and 3 months depending on how picky, desperate or flexible you are.

why would you not do contracing? If you act like a permie but expect to be paid 3 times as much, you'll soon be sniffed out and canned. Think of yourself like a business, take yourself seriously, conduct yourself appropriately (depending on the environment) and have an actual strategy for why you are doing this - you'll do well.

Comment

The reason for my post is to make the right choice. When you typing in forum, you don't proof read it and make it sound professional and perfect .
          If you wish to communicate effectively, proof reading before you hit submit is not only a good idea, but it's also a matter of courtesy to those who might read your post. In another place I moderate a professional forum that has many people posting for whom English is not their first language. It's easy to spot who is making an effort and who is just lazy.

as long as I can get the message across to people then it is sufficient.
          No, it's not. Because generally people don't like to help posters who come across as lazy.

some people attitude stinks
          Yes it does. It's probably a good idea to learn now that no-one owes you anything beyond a basic benefit of the doubt.

In answer to your question: I contract for the flexibility it offers, but mainly for the money. I'm good enough that in the last ten years I've had no down time. (I do take vacation though).

Do you work in IT already? Or are you a student, soon to graduate, who's thinking of going straight into contracting rather than getting a permanent job? I say this because things like "area of IT" are so vague as to indicate zero experience of the working world.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

OP. Did you read the links I supplied?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

yes flagged it to read tonight.

I have over 7 years of experience so classed it as IT to keep it high level

It will be tough to get contracting jobs straight out of the university

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                It's easy to spot who is making an effort and who is just lazy.
                FTFY

#nooneescapesgrammarnazis
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

some people attitude stinks,
                  when you're anonymous and are corrected harshly what's the issue?

Grow up. It's a big world out there.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

some people attitude stinks
                    We have to be nice to idiots all day long.

This is one (not the only one) of the places we can be honest. You might not like the answers you get, but they are almost always genuine answers on here (if not that polite).
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The reason for my post is to make the right choice.

When you typing in forum, you don't proof read it and make it sound professional and perfect .

as long as I can get the message across to people then it is sufficient.

some people attitude stinks, why would you post if all you say is negative and useless.
                      Good luck dealing with agents if you think it's bad on here.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X