• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contracting in IT

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP. You need to do a bit more reading first IMO.

Have a look at this...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...ml#post2050472

Then have a look at this...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...te-market.html

and browse the forums for a bit. Don't take in just the bits you like. Read the bits about people getting binned at a moments notice, had rate cuts, tulip clients, being on the bench for long periods.

If you are going to make the decision you need to do it based on an overall view based on cold hard facts. Doing it based on just money alone is a very poor decision base. Many contractors have gone back to permie land because contracting didn't work for them. It isn't all roses. Just asking a question like this with no other understanding isn't a good start.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stranger12 View Post
      What is ur reason for doing it?

If you retain around 70% and earn twice or three times ur daily rate then why else would you do it if it is not for money and flexibility
      Flexibility and not having to do work that I don't want to do. I spent time working for a consultancy where I could be sent anywhere pretty much at the drop of a hat, now I have some say over where I work and when.

But your maths is impossible - how do you earn two or three times your daily rate?
      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

for the sector I am working in, you can get from £300 a day to £700 depending on place and requirement.
        Forget this idea of 'sector' having a rate. It's about skills.
        A helpdesk analyst is worth maybe £200.

A highly skilled architect, with years under his belt, and the right technologies the client wants and maybe, just maybe £700 is achievable. But there's a lot of competition for those.

And your writing skills rule you out of them immediately as your CV get's shortlisted to the shredder.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

i All,

I have been thinking of doing contracting for a while and move away from permenant jobs.

Is anyone here from London and working in IT field ?

What is the market like for contracting ?
          Depends

what are the pros and cons as you see it when doing contracting ?
          Many of each.

for the sector I am working in, you can get from £300 a day to £700 depending on place and requirement.
          If you deliberately stick with one sector you will soon find yourself finding out what the cons are.
          Last edited by SueEllen; 1 December 2016, 15:50.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Forget this idea of 'sector' having a rate. It's about skills.
            A helpdesk analyst is worth maybe £200.

A highly skilled architect, with years under his belt, and the right technologies the client wants and maybe, just maybe £700 is achievable. But there's a lot of competition for those.

And your writing skills rule you out of them immediately as your CV get's shortlisted to the shredder.
            Oops
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Oops
              well spotted. No irony here, move along.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The reason for my post is to make the right choice.

When you typing in forum, you don't proof read it and make it sound professional and perfect .

as long as I can get the message across to people then it is sufficient.

some people attitude stinks, why would you post if all you say is negative and useless.
                Last edited by stranger12; 1 December 2016, 16:11.

Comment

some people attitude stinks, why would you post if all you say is negative and useless.
                  welcome to CUK

Comment

The reason for my post if to make the right choice.

When you typing in forum, you don't proof read it and make it sound professional and perfect .

as long as I can get the message across to people then it is sufficient.

If you cannot handle a few negative posts on a public forum how on earth do you think you would cope in a contract where you are expected to cope & handle with a lot of stress from the end client & their perm staff? Also just go for it if you think you have the confidence why do you need strangers to validate that decision!

Comment

Try going on Mumsnet and ask I want to be a mum. What do I do?

You think you've had a roasting here?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X