• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Awaiting contract extension - query !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Awaiting contract extension - query !

    Hi..
    First post here so please bear with me.
    Trying to gauge some thought on a guaranteed contract extension.
    I will keep this brief -
    Contract end Fri Dec 2nd
    Manager has asked me to stay on and offered me three months, has been approved but awaiting final rubber stamp from IS Director but to continue working regardless even if new contract has not been received and confirmed from Agency then myself.
    Agency has confirmed they have conformation but awaiting final details to be sent through.

    So come the end of Friday and the contract renewal is not through what are the implications of attending site or sites the following week ?
    Do I invalidate any business insurance ?
    My timesheets are electronic the last entry is for this week therefore I will not have anything to enter details against for next week.

    I am based at multi-sites not just one main office so I still have an ID pass for barrier/office entry, a works laptop/mobile etc.
    I planned a handover day this week but my manager has asked me to stay on due to workload and a number of perm staff seconded to projects.I am also scheduled in to a rota for the next three months coming up and I know the workload is there so how do I stand if next week my contract has not come through but I am working on a clients site?
    The manager has stated this is how it tends to work sometimes.I have three contractor colleagues in the same boat whose contract is due up in the next couple of weeks but have been asked to stay on.It seems to be left hand not knowing right etc and awaiting sign off..

    By the way this site is great . Full of information !
    Regards
    Jay

    #2
    Originally posted by jayjay69 View Post
    Hi..
    First post here so please bear with me.
    Trying to gauge some thought on a guaranteed contract extension.
    I will keep this brief -
    Contract end Fri Dec 2nd
    Manager has asked me to stay on and offered me three months, has been approved but awaiting final rubber stamp from IS Director but to continue working regardless even if new contract has not been received and confirmed from Agency then myself.
    Agency has confirmed they have conformation but awaiting final details to be sent through.

    So come the end of Friday and the contract renewal is not through what are the implications of attending site or sites the following week ?
    Do I invalidate any business insurance ?
    My timesheets are electronic the last entry is for this week therefore I will not have anything to enter details against for next week.

    I am based at multi-sites not just one main office so I still have an ID pass for barrier/office entry, a works laptop/mobile etc.
    I planned a handover day this week but my manager has asked me to stay on due to workload and a number of perm staff seconded to projects.I am also scheduled in to a rota for the next three months coming up and I know the workload is there so how do I stand if next week my contract has not come through but I am working on a clients site?
    The manager has stated this is how it tends to work sometimes.I have three contractor colleagues in the same boat whose contract is due up in the next couple of weeks but have been asked to stay on.It seems to be left hand not knowing right etc and awaiting sign off..

    By the way this site is great . Full of information !
    Regards
    Jay
    Up to you really, its your business risk to manage.

    Personally, I always say that my business insurances are invalid without the contract.
    You might find things move quite fast if you state this as a show stopper.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

    Comment


      #3
      IMO you do what you are contracted to do a not a bean more. If the contract ends 2nd Dec and you don't have a contract signed for the extension you've got nothing. We've more than enough people coming on here where gigs get cancelled due to sign off not happening etc to make me think you should just play it by the book. Yes your insurance will be invalid and you will be running the risk of working for nothing when it folds and you don't get paid. Giving the client the indication you'll just rock up will also give them a reason to be tardy with the paperwork.

      If you make it clear you will not be attending site without a signed contract (or extension or new schedule, or something signed) then the client will have to pull their finger out which I am sure they will. The agent will also work for it as well as he will be losing commission.

      Another reason I'd be playing it by the book is some of the stuff you say.
      Your manager? Rota? Stay on to do extra work? All this sounds IR35 unfriendly and that you are part and parcel and possibly being directed. Don't have much detail to be fair but the alarm bells are certainly ringing to me. Working to contract should re-emphasise you are a supplier and help you get your IR35 ducks back in a row.

      Pretty clear to me this. Tell them the laptop and the pass will be handed back in on the 2nd as per the contract but will be more than happy to carry on once something you can sign has turned up. Quite surprising how this can focus the clients mind in to getting it sorted...
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

      Comment


        #4
        I had an extension delay on this contract, so I worked at risk while I looked for other work. After a week, client offered me a month to finish the project work up,which i did.

        after that month, a new project started so I got a new contract schedule and accepted the offer to stay. A week working at risk led to six months and counting on the next project.

        But I knew that there was a chance of not getting paid for the week - I consider it a pre sales risk though which paid off For the right client, with the right chances of work I'd do it again - it's up to you to work out whether your client is like that or not.
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

        Comment


          #5
          In recent time it is almost a norm at Barclays to get your extension 1 hour before the deadline. Once extension was 2 days after contract expired. And I was onsite without contract and was paid. They simply backdated extension. But there is no guarantee that promised extension would ever arrive.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
            In recent time it is almost a norm at Barclays to get your extension 1 hour before the deadline. Once extension was 2 days after contract expired. And I was onsite without contract and was paid. They simply backdated extension. But there is no guarantee that promised extension would ever arrive.
            if it's 2 days after expiry it's not an extension.
            See You Next Tuesday

            Comment


              #7
              1. Send a polite email today saying you haven't received your contract extension to said client person and inform them unfortunately your insurances are invalid without an agreed contract so at the moment your last day is Friday 2nd December 2016.
              2. If you still haven't received it on Thursday talk to the said client person reminding them about the email.
              3. If the contract doesn't reach you by close of play Sunday 4th December take the days off until the contract turns up. If there is an extension not turning up will speed up the paperwork.

              There is often something in your contract which states the agency will not pay you without an agreed contract.

              In addition update your CV and put it on the job boards today.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Lance View Post
                if it's 2 days after expiry it's not an extension.
                It was backdated

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  There is often something in your contract which states the agency will not pay you without an agreed contract.
                  Isn't that an oxymoron or summat like that?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    1. Send a polite email today saying you haven't received your contract extension to said client person and inform them unfortunately your insurances are invalid without an agreed contract so at the moment your last day is Friday 2nd December 2016.
                    2. If you still haven't received it on Thursday talk to the said client person reminding them about the email.
                    3. If the contract doesn't reach you by close of play Sunday 4th December take the days off until the contract turns up. If there is an extension not turning up will speed up the paperwork.

                    There is often something in your contract which states the agency will not pay you without an agreed contract.

                    In addition update your CV and put it on the job boards today.

                    Hey guys thanks for the great responses ! Got an email from Agency to say paperwork sent across tonight.
                    Somebody picked up a good point on IR35 as I have been working shifts on rota and out of hours but this did not cross my mind.
                    I need to read up more on IR35 methinks

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X