• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Awaiting contract extension - query !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Isn't that an oxymoron or summat like that?
    Yep.

Basically the agent wants you to sign the contract.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Always a difficult one. Some clients are just crap at sorting extensions.

I had one who used to leave it until last minute. I'd pack up my stuff and put it in the car.

In the end, I agreed that if someone senior within the client or agency stuck it in email that it was all agreed then I'd carry on and give them 48 hours to get it all sorted. Not ideal but I'd have lost two days every quarter.

However, one young lady contractor made me look bad. She went 6 WEEKS without a contract and continued working just because the excuse given was manager on holiday. Nuts.

I was always a bit wary of this client (a big multinational) because I'd known one contractor who worked two weeks without contract for them to turn around and say "Oops it didnt get signed off - sorry about that we cant pay you"
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        However, one young lady contractor made herself look bad. She went 6 WEEKS without a contract and continued working just because the excuse given was manager on holiday. Nuts.

FTFY
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

It also depends on the client. Some places expire your pass and login if the paperwork hasn't gone through so you cannot actually work at risk anyway (protection for them more than you).
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It should be, no contract = not onsite.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              It also depends on the client. Some places expire your pass and login if the paperwork hasn't gone through so you cannot actually work at risk anyway (protection for them more than you).
              This is the issue I have as I have a pass for barrier controls and access to offices are all via electronic ID pass.I have had three extensions on this contract since Jan and I can tell when security have not been informed as the day after each extension I have not got access and somebody senior has had to alert the security team.It normally takes about an hour for full access again but as somebody else pointed out on here it is more down to poor communication from senior managers and budget holders in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
                It should be, no contract = not onsite.
                Certainly in anywhere with a decent operational risk manager it would be.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay69 View Post
                  This is the issue I have as I have a pass for barrier controls and access to offices are all via electronic ID pass.I have had three extensions on this contract since Jan and I can tell when security have not been informed as the day after each extension I have not got access and somebody senior has had to alert the security team.It normally takes about an hour for full access again but as somebody else pointed out on here it is more down to poor communication from senior managers and budget holders in my case.
                  Well I'd rather they were a day or two late than not bothering cancelling expired passes. Getting on site with a pass you know to be expired will be against their security policy and am sure is enough grounds for instant termination.

Hardly the end of the world waiting a bit for a valid pass.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Well I'd rather they were a day or two late than not bothering cancelling expired passes. Getting on site with a pass you know to be expired will be against their security policy and am sure is enough grounds for instant termination.

Hardly the end of the world waiting a bit for a valid pass.
                    Agree it is not the end of the world lucky they are manned by security who I know on first name terms so they can manually let me enter site although some may say it defeats the whole object of a pass in the first place.Well my TL has confirmed new contract agreed and sent to agency but no conformation email yet to accept it via their portal!

Comment

The way to make these decisions is to assess the risk. What is the risk you won't get paid and what is the alternative.

Assuming there is a 20% chance of not being paid and assuming that you don't have an alternative contract and for the sake of argument earning 500 a day.

Continuing the project for a week : 0.8 * 2500 = 2000
                      Staying at home : 1.0 * 0 = 0

Therefore it makes sense to continue even if the contract isn't signed because over many projects even though sometimes you won't be paid, you will still earn more than simply twiddling your thumbs at home waiting for the renewal documentation.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X