• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Awaiting contract extension - query !"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    But in the clients eyes, it was a case of, well miss X is not kicking up a fuss about the contract not being sorted but you are being awkward.

Miss x also regularly worked weekends for free..... :-(
    Did Miss X have the same contract as you with the same agency.?

I have been at more than one client where due to people's negotiating skills and when they started everyone was on a slightly different contract with the same agency.

So saying you can't do x because of insurance is valid as your contract won't be the same as Miss X.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    But in the clients eyes, it was a case of, well miss X is not kicking up a fuss about the contract not being sorted but you are being awkward.

I think MP was saying you don't need anyone else to make you look bad. You've pretty much nailed it on your own.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Depends on the individuals skillset and location.

If I left my contract now I would find another one quickly at the moment.
    That obviously puts you in a position where you can demand the paperwork. Don't forget verbal agreements are legally binding, and not having the paperwork doesn't necessarily entitle you to break the contract, if you have been informed of the delay and the client and agency are putting right.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    ...and the chance of finding and starting a contract before the week is out is what ?

Would the OP not be able to look for a contract whilst also working ?

Just feed that into the equation i.e. probability of finding a contract and the expected rate.

This is the problem with many contractors is that they're not trained in business or finance and therefore often follow their instincts and make bad decisions.

You are not necessarily wrong, that's what the OP has to assess.
    Depends on the individuals skillset and location.

If I left my contract now I would find another one quickly at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    There is one other situation we had on a here a long time ago but I can't find it. The client manager made a call, the business didn't like it as it broke their rules. Contractor got walked and manager got disciplined. Doing it by the book would have kept the gig. If I remember rightly the poster was asking about suing the manager or something? Granted a very small risk as I've only seen it once but just something to bear in mind. Make sure if the client manager says come in that he's got the authority to do it properly.
    You have to throw that into the probabilities.

Basically if your agent tells you to go in, you have a contract to go in, i.e. a verbal contract is a contract, if he tells you not to because it hasn't been decided, then you don't.
    Without the paperwork but verbal assurances, the probability of not being paid is very low.

I always accept verbal assurances. If my agent would tell me not to go in, I wouldn't go in.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 November 2016, 13:18.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The way to make these decisions is to assess the risk. What is the risk you won't get paid and what is the alternative.

Assuming there is a 20% chance of not being paid and assuming that you don't have an alternative contract and for the sake of argument earning 500 a day.

Continuing the project for a week : 0.8 * 2500 = 2000
    Staying at home : 1.0 * 0 = 0

Therefore it makes sense to continue even if the contract isn't signed because over many projects even though sometimes you won't be paid, you will still earn more than simply twiddling your thumbs at home waiting for the renewal documentation.
    There is one other situation we had on a here a long time ago but I can't find it. The client manager made a call, the business didn't like it as it broke their rules. Contractor got walked and manager got disciplined. Doing it by the book would have kept the gig. If I remember rightly the poster was asking about suing the manager or something? Granted a very small risk as I've only seen it once but just something to bear in mind. Make sure if the client manager says come in that he's got the authority to do it properly.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    I doubt many people would be twiddling their thumbs. Rather looking for other contracts.
    ...and the chance of finding and starting a contract before the week is out is what ?

Would the OP not be able to look for a contract whilst also working ?

Just feed that into the equation i.e. probability of finding a contract and the expected rate.

This is the problem with many contractors is that they're not trained in business or finance and therefore often follow their instincts and make bad decisions.

You are not necessarily wrong, that's what the OP has to assess.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    The way to make these decisions is to assess the risk. What is the risk you won't get paid and what is the alternative.

Assuming there is a 20% chance of not being paid and assuming that you don't have an alternative contract and for the sake of argument earning 500 a day.

Therefore it makes sense to continue even if the contract isn't signed because over many projects even though sometimes you won't be paid, you will still earn more than simply twiddling your thumbs at home waiting for the renewal documentation.
    I doubt many people would be twiddling their thumbs. Rather looking for other contracts.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jayjay69
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well I'd rather they were a day or two late than not bothering cancelling expired passes. Getting on site with a pass you know to be expired will be against their security policy and am sure is enough grounds for instant termination.

Hardly the end of the world waiting a bit for a valid pass.
    Agree it is not the end of the world lucky they are manned by security who I know on first name terms so they can manually let me enter site although some may say it defeats the whole object of a pass in the first place.Well my TL has confirmed new contract agreed and sent to agency but no conformation email yet to accept it via their portal!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jayjay69 View Post
    This is the issue I have as I have a pass for barrier controls and access to offices are all via electronic ID pass.I have had three extensions on this contract since Jan and I can tell when security have not been informed as the day after each extension I have not got access and somebody senior has had to alert the security team.It normally takes about an hour for full access again but as somebody else pointed out on here it is more down to poor communication from senior managers and budget holders in my case.
    Well I'd rather they were a day or two late than not bothering cancelling expired passes. Getting on site with a pass you know to be expired will be against their security policy and am sure is enough grounds for instant termination.

Hardly the end of the world waiting a bit for a valid pass.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    It should be, no contract = not onsite.
    Certainly in anywhere with a decent operational risk manager it would be.

Leave a comment:

• jayjay69
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    It also depends on the client. Some places expire your pass and login if the paperwork hasn't gone through so you cannot actually work at risk anyway (protection for them more than you).
    This is the issue I have as I have a pass for barrier controls and access to offices are all via electronic ID pass.I have had three extensions on this contract since Jan and I can tell when security have not been informed as the day after each extension I have not got access and somebody senior has had to alert the security team.It normally takes about an hour for full access again but as somebody else pointed out on here it is more down to poor communication from senior managers and budget holders in my case.

Leave a comment:

• garethevans1986
    replied
    It should be, no contract = not onsite.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X