• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have I been stitched up or is it time to hang up the keyboard?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP 1 or 3 I reckon deffo.

Probably bit of both - they think they've got a few free days opinion out of you know - bet they try not to pay.
    Also, sounds like the permie has kicked off too so they've though sod it.

I've got a thing about this. Yes we're contractors but I still expect to get treated decently....

In this case, if they always planned on getting rid after you told them whats what - they should be ashamed.

Also, if the permie kicking off was an issue. Sort your internal tulipe out before you get contractor on site.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      In this case, if they always planned on getting rid after you told them whats what - they should be ashamed.
      Why? It's just business to them. Companies will always try it on. If you don't like it, walk. Yes we all like a nice easy life but go permy if you want that all the time.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Also, if the permie kicking off was an issue. Sort your internal tulipe out before you get contractor on site.
      Never gonna happen. Internal crap going on in all companies/clients, you just have to deal with it.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Crikey - you've had a bad few weeks of it, haven't you? Don't envy you!

Quite an "inneresting" set of situations.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          Why? It's just business to them. Companies will always try it on. If you don't like it, walk. Yes we all like a nice easy life but go permy if you want that all the time.

Never gonna happen. Internal crap going on in all companies/clients, you just have to deal with it.

qh
          PC doesn't understand any of this. It doesn't make sense in his permatractor world. He's also BAU and inside IR35 as well so as much as the internal crap as all the other permies
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            PC doesn't understand any of this. It doesn't make sense in his permatractor world. He's also BAU and inside IR35 as well so as much as the internal crap as all the other permies
            Betch.......

I'll have you know his performance review was really rather good this year
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Personally I'm with the OP on this - I would just forget about it and move on - you can't change it and it looks like you've just been unlucky.

All wind-ups aside I think there is a good point raised that you're not a permie so can walk if you don't like it. Being a contractor doesn't mean eating endless tulip sandwiches for a few more quid a day. If I don't get treated with respect I'll let them know. Never been in a position where it might lead me to walking but the bottom line is you don't have to put up with it under some strange sense of being a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

This one was completely different and seems to be based on them not liking the answers I gave to their questions. They asked what needed to be done to make their APIs "industry standard" and I told them as I explained in my OP. In all other respects I kept my head down - in at 8:30, 1 hour lunch & out at 5:30 just like the other permies.
                You were suppose to ask to arrange a workshop on it. In that workshop get everyone involved one idea and add most of your own, then whatever they decide to implement is a group decision and not yours.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You were suppose to ask to arrange a workshop on it. In that workshop get everyone involved one idea and add most of your own, then whatever they decide to implement is a group decision and not yours.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Spend 3 days in workshops getting them to describe the problem as they perceive it.
                    Then another 2 days getting them to describe the solution as they see it.
                    3 weeks later present them the problem and solution they already know, in a nice Word document, with a PPT slide deck.
                    Present it to the most senior people you can find and thank the people who supplied you the information.

Consulting 101
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      Spend 3 days in workshops getting them to describe the problem as they perceive it.
                      Then another 2 days getting them to describe the solution as they see it.
                      3 weeks later present them the problem and solution they already know, in a nice Word document, with a PPT slide deck.
                      Present it to the most senior people you can find and thank the people who supplied you the information.

Consulting 101
                      Not really gonna work when he gets walked on the first day again.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X