• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have I been stitched up or is it time to hang up the keyboard?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    PC doesn't understand any of this. It doesn't make sense in his permatractor world. He's also BAU and inside IR35 as well so as much as the internal crap as all the other permies
    Aw you two! Tut-tut.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      PC doesn't understand any of this. It doesn't make sense in his permatractor world. He's also BAU and inside IR35 as well so as much as the internal crap as all the other permies
      zzzzz

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Any more posts between NLUK and psychocandy in the professional forums that are just personal abuse will result in both parties being banned for a few days. We've had enough.

If you find he's off your ignore list, exercise some self control and put him back on. Do not respond. It isn't difficult.

Comment

Well with regard to linktosql, I did a quick google around and there is a work around to get it work asynchronously. If that is the case the suggestion to remove it and use something else involving weeks of work, without pointing out the work around might not have gone down too well.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
          I was hired as a "Contract software developer".

That's what it said in my contract. Those were my expectations but it was only at the end of day 1 that I was made aware that the client expected something very different.

I only had a 30 minute phone interview for this one during which they gave the impression I was coming in as a developer but a developer with more knowledge of Web API than their permanent resource. Which is the case.
          You need to ask more probing questions at the interview to find out exactly what they want you to do and what their problems are as titles mean SFA. (Obviously not as blatant as that.)
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Well with regard to linktosql, I did a quick google around and there is a work around to get it work asynchronously. If that is the case the suggestion to remove it and use something else involving weeks of work, without pointing out the work around might not have gone down too well.
            They had instances of the DataContext popping up allover the place so it would have needed a complete refactor either way & since EF does this stuff out of the box I thought it was a better solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
              They had instances of the DataContext popping up allover the place so it would have needed a complete refactor either way & since EF does this stuff out of the box I thought it was a better solution.
              You can't tell the client that though cause it embarrasses the people that should have already made that decision. You are right in what you say but you've got to make the permie who's responsibility this is either think it is his idea or let him put it forward and take the credit
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You tend to get these poor contracts in a poor market.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  You tend to get these poor contracts in a poor market.
                  The OP's market isn't poor. He left one contract and immediately got another. Unfortunately he isn't so good at choosing his clients.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    The OP's market isn't poor. He left one contract and immediately got another. Unfortunately he isn't so good at choosing his clients.
                    He can just keep on getting a new contract every fortnight then!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Agreed that the OP perhaps needs to be better at choosing his clients although I guess that accusation could be levelled at any of us when we have an inevitable poor contract.

While the OP may have left one contract and immediately got another I suspect that was more down to luck than anything (apologies OP). From experience the .Net development market in the South West is not great at best and absolutely diabolical at worst.

As I say to other contractors from time to time, cherish the good contracts and extend as long as you can - once you've had a good contract or two you'll know what's good and what isn't.

Looking on the bright side for the OP, at least they've found out now rather than a few weeks in and have a short term contract to explain on the CV. For a couple of days (or even a couple of weeks) they are better to leave it off altogether rather than include it.

Comment

Working...
                      X