• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) - Partner with caution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance (SC) - Partner with caution

Hi all,

New to posting here but not new to reading the forum.

I've previously been CTC + SC'd for a job in national banking in the UK, and I'm now planning to move into contracting and will require the SC to be renewed/restarted for a government contracting role.

My question is of a difficult and awkward nature, and it's really beating me up thinking about all the ifs and buts of it all - I've read all the SC threads here and the stickies, but the 'partner with a record' question hasn't really been addressed with any certainty.

At the moment, we don't live together and have been together for 18 months or so. In 2012 he received a caution for a non contact sexual offence (not the really really bad type of non contact offence for those who know about this area...) and was made to sign the SoR for 2 years. We met a few months after he had come off the SoR, and of course his caution was immediately spent as all are (however, sexual offenses aren't eligible for filtering, not that it is relevant either way to SC anyway). He remained employed throughout, and is in a line of work where SC's aren't needed, and if a DS basic check is requested then he gets the ok from them as the caution is spent and the SoR term doesn't show. He has a lot of responsibility in his job and is a higher rate tax payer for reference.

So, my question - we're planning to move in together in the next few months, around the time that my SC application will be started (I'm not sure if it will be before or after I start it at the moment). I've looked up the FAQ on the government department's website and it states that you only need to give the details of partners if you live with them, but of course if you move in together after SC is cleared you have to fill in a change of details form anyway.

Do I just forget going for SC roles now because of his past? I in no way want to try and hide the situation, but I also don't want to leave my current employment to take up a government department contracting role only to then get the SC rejected. The SC form doesn't allow me to give details on his past, other than his details, which is where we would have openly put the information in, so there's no opportunity to expand on him before they do their checks on him (I'm assuming they'll do full checking on him too if I name him?).

Any advice is appreciated. He has a past, not a pleasant one, but has helped me through a lot in the past 18 months and I want to make it work, but my career is of course important too.

(please try to refrain from posting anything rude etc - I know the situation and the surrounding relevant information, he has been very open and told me not long after we started dating).

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...questions.html

It's all in there. The answer you need will be repeated numerous times for all the posts about 'I've got this, I've got that'. It's the same advice.

Be honest, apply and see what happens. As simple as that.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 September 2016, 15:58.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Make sure you disclose everything you know. Hiding things is the issue.
      For SC they're more interested in credit and what you hide.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        I think that bottom line is completely wrong and misleading.

Comment

Thanks - the problem is, the SC form doesn't allow you to disclose everything about partners - it just asks for their info. That's my concern, no room to expand.

How deep do the checks go on partners for SC?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I think that bottom line is completely wrong and misleading.
            Basically they want to know two things, are you honest and can you be coerced. How they do that is not going to be revealed to anyone, obviously.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by LoopieLou View Post
              it just asks for their info. That's my concern, no room to expand.
              It's been 4 years since I did mine and I think there was room for extra information. Ask the person at your client when you come to fill it in, or add an extra piece of paper.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Basically they want to know two things, are you honest and can you be coerced.
              That's the reason for the credit check being important NLUK. Being skint is one of the key indicators. If you've got good credit they figure you're 'safe' (it's a lot more careful for DV clearance).
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

That's the reason for the credit check being important NLUK. Being skint is one of the key indicators. If you've got good credit they figure you're 'safe' (it's a lot more careful for DV clearance).
                I'm well aware of that but the way you put it was simplistic and misleading, which I have to say you are being again. We don't know what they indicators are but I bet 'being skint' is not a key one. You are just guessing.

Best not to take guesses and stabs at it. Just go with what Mal says.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 15 September 2016, 07:45.

Comment

you say you don't live together, so I assume you're not marries/in a civil partnership too.

When I went through SC clearance I think it asked about your spouse, probably anyone you are co-habiting with. I'm not sure what category your 'partner' would fall under if you're not married and aren't living together, so would they even ask anything about them?

As others have said, just answer each question honestly and see what they say. I wouldn't go out of your way to mention them or their past if it doesn't specifically ask about them.
                  Last edited by FrontEnder; 15 September 2016, 08:18.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                    you say you don't live together, so I assume you're not marries/in a civil partnership too.

When I went through SC clearance I think it asked about your spouse, probably anyone you are co-habiting with. I'm not sure what category your 'partner' would fall under if you're not marries and aren't living together, so would they even ask anything about them?

As others have said, just answer each question honestly and see what they say. I wouldn't go out of your way to mention them or their past if it doesn't specifically ask about them.
                    I believe I remember this being the situation when the Mrs did it, definitely worth the OP checking.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X