• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reskilling - Course Recommendations Please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    The entire idea that sharepoint by itself is enough to get a contract in this day and age made me laugh....
    +1

I was traditional Unix, ie Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, now I have to do Linux, VMware ESX, LDAP, Cisco FW, the whole infra stack.

And the only reason I can know all this and don't have gaps between contracts is cos it's taken me over 25 years to input and retain all this knowledge, the days of the one skill wonders are over now, and Sharepoint is known to us techies as Shiitepoint for nothing, in few years it will have died...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      The entire idea that sharepoint by itself is enough to get a contract in this day and age made me laugh....

True, just as well you specified contract as, I'm sure you know, there are some consultancies that send muppets in on £700 PD that find basic Excel beyond them
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        +1

I was traditional Unix, ie Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, now I have to do Linux, VMware ESX, LDAP, Cisco FW, the whole infra stack.

And the only reason I can know all this and don't have gaps between contracts is cos it's taken me over 25 years to input and retain all this knowledge, the days of the one skill wonders are over now, and Sharepoint is know to us techies as Shiitepoint for nothing, in few years it will have died...
        I've always been a jack of all trades with development as the main skill set within it.

That means C#, perl, javascript, python alongside various database and TSQL / PL-SQL, frameworks and other tools including apache / IIS / kestral, ESBs and various things.

I can also happily chair / lead daily scrums, do a reasonable amount of testing including automated scripting and both architecture designs or quickly read them and identify flaws. I can even roll my sleeves up and do BA work, especially when I want to control what they are trying to get the system to do.

That is just about enough to ensure I can roll up on site on day one and find something that means on Friday of week 1 I can say I've delivered something....

The idea that you know sharepoint and that is enough to get you a 6 month contract may work - once in a blue moon if you are very lucky....

And I haven't even mentioned what My actual skillset is when I apply for a contract
        Last edited by eek; 8 September 2016, 16:31. Reason: Added a bit more
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

And since we've answered the reskilling question and are now moving into dubious territory, I'm closing this thread.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
          X