• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trouble getting a new contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble getting a new contract

Hi guys,

I started doing contract IT work just over two years ago, and since then have had 3 contracts. I finished my last one in early April, and decided to take a couple of months off. Since early July, I've been applying for contract roles in and around Edinburgh, but to no avail. I apply, and hear nothing back. I get the occasional call from agencies, and sometimes the job sounds good and they say they'll put me forward, but then nothing. It's all getting very frustrating and I'm starting to wonder if I've committed some unknown faux pas somewhere.

I'd say I apply for at least 5 jobs a day. I'm largely looking at jobserve.

For my previous 3 jobs, I was on the lookout for about a week before I got them. I didn't have close to this level of hassle.

I have no idea where I'm going wrong, and was wondering if anyone has any idea of what I could be doing wrong. I'd be willing to send my CV to anyone who would be willing to check it out and give me some pointers on it.

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Synesthetic View Post
    Hi guys,

I started doing contract IT work just over two years ago, and since then have had 3 contracts. I finished my last one in early April, and decided to take a couple of months off. Since early July, I've been applying for contract roles in and around Edinburgh, but to no avail. I apply, and hear nothing back. I get the occasional call from agencies, and sometimes the job sounds good and they say they'll put me forward, but then nothing. It's all getting very frustrating and I'm starting to wonder if I've committed some unknown faux pas somewhere.

For my previous 3 jobs, I was on the lookout for about a week before I got them. I didn't have close to this level of hassle.

I have no idea where I'm going wrong, and was wondering if anyone has any idea of what I could be doing wrong. I'd be willing to send my CV to anyone who would be willing to check it out and give me some pointers on it.

Thanks guys.
    The market is quiet at the moment - especially if you're in banking.

Having said that, it's always worth revisiting the CV - check out the CV and Interview Advisers webinars here http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-profiles.html (15 September) or here https://www.ipse.co.uk/events/wed-09...ontract-market (28 September).

Comment

It's even more difficult in Edinburgh. RBS have just dumped thousands of contractors on the market today. Be prepared to work in London temporarily.
      World's Best Martini

Comment

WV8GS. Yep, your problem is being 6 months out of contract when a glut of experienced contractors have all been released into the wild at the same time.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've been surfing jobserve recently and from my experience I can't see how you are finding 5 roles that you are the perfect fit for a day. You sure you are just chancing your arm with stuff you think you might be able to do and just dragging yourself down when you don't hear anything?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Synesthetic View Post
            Hi guys,

Thanks guys.
            I understand your situation, and lots of people are apparently going through this at this time. Read up various other threads in the forums.

The contract market is going to be totally unlike it used to be, to be honest. So get used to it.
            The work is going to get very difficult to get in the face of competition on rates from people, locals and foreigners alike.
            Given the BREXIT situation, there is going to be more pleasing the govt will be doing towards non-eu companies, in order to write good deals with non-eu countries for the trade benefits after brexit... So you will start to see lots of offshore companies coming onshore and hiring at their used-to rates, and the quality of work environment will also start to suffer.

For the short term, I cannot suggest anything, but keep in mind that you will need to build up your niche skills and/or product portfolio and start to become real business, rather than the morning to evening contractor, going forward in future.
            See where your passion lies, and start to think about the business opportunities in there - that will keep you going successfully, and the typical contractors will not be your competition anymore.

I speak all this from my experience. I know it's easier said that done.
            As a bonus, when you do this proper business, you can kiss goodbye and forget about this nonsense IR35 worries as well, since you will be a proper business, taking all risks and such, but making lots of money too, because your heart lies in the business you do.

My 2 pence...
            Last edited by Milkyway; 31 August 2016, 20:17.

Comment

Your problem is you're using job boards and agents. Both are a waste of time and you will spend months until get an interview, let alone an offer.

Most contractors get work through their extended networks. All about who you know as they say..

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                Your problem is you're using job boards and agents. Both are a waste of time and you will spend months until get an interview, let alone an offer.

Most contractors get work through their extended networks. All about who you know as they say..
                I'd say that's not right. Every back to back gig I've had in 8 years has been from the boards. I'd say a majority are via boards and agents and much less from networks but it's increasing.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'd say that's not right. Every back to back gig I've had in 8 years has been from the boards. I'd say a majority are via boards and agents and much less from networks but it's increasing.
                  Fair comment - It's just my experience from working in London within Banking, which is known to be notoriously close circle.

But as we all work in vastly different industries and capacities, I know what I said is s a huge generalisation.

Comment

What are you looking for?

I'm in Edinburgh and the market definitely has picked up in the last couple of months in terms of quantity of opportunities in my area at least (C#, ASP.NET MVC). I'm lucky enough, that I self-source most of my contracts - just closed going back to an old client for 6 months (happy days!)

I agree with the others, get mobile if the market is dead - London would be the obvious one, Dublin is another (paid in euros!).

If you're a dev, the other one to look at is remote to the states. Avoid the upWorks etc of this world and figure out where the techies complaining about 100$ an hour are sourcing clients. If you're a webdev, you could try marketing yourself to digital agencies as short term cover (goto meetups and source that way, try to get an intro). There are differences from going through agents, and it can be bloody painful, but digital agencies really struggle to retain staff - but they're not going to go through an agent as there would be no margin left for the agency!!

YMMV etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X