• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trouble getting a new contract"

Collapse

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I could be wanking in my spare time.........

Agreed, but there's something to be said about putting your whole into something

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Glad to see you are giving your current client good ROI.
    I'm in Denmark anyway, not Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I could be wanking in my spare time.........

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I do, one hand on iPhone flicking through Xshare, the other, err......

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Can't you multi-task?
    I do, one hand on iPhone flicking through Xshare, the other, err......

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    When it's a sit-down poo job or a stand-up wank job I usually close the door.....
    Can't you multi-task?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    When it's a sit-down poo job or a stand-up wank job I usually close the door.....
    Its good to see you have such high standards

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Worse when you're crimping a length off and she comes and sits on your knee.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Cubicles only, but weird when you use it as a urinal with the door open and a woman walks in....
    Worse when you're crimping a length off and she comes and sits on your knee.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    urinals & cubicles or cubicles only?
    Cubicles only, but weird when you use it as a urinal with the door open and a woman walks in....

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Unisex toilets a bit weird....
    urinals & cubicles or cubicles only?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

It's just got weirder for the locals!

Leave a comment:

• dwater
    replied
    Nordea Bank here are great, WFH if u want, peeps do it randomly, I don't cos I don't wanna be UK tax resident.

Despite contracted hours people come and go as they please as long as work is done, canteen is a buffet style, £2.80 all you can eat which is well cheap for uk let alone Denmark..

That's interesting I used to work for Nokia in Helsinki (perm) and Nordea sounds somewhat similar. Yeah, I suppose Nokia wasn't a bad employer, tbh....not as good as (the old) Silicon Graphics, but not bad at all.

I am resisting the urge to 'rubbish' previous employers, since it is my experiences with them that have attracted me to contracting, to become self employed. However, I am already finding that it's more difficult than I remember (my skill set now is much more common :/).

How does one attain a much in demand skill without learning it in a perm position? I suppose I might tempt a client if I have some professional certification in the skill, which I might do by going on a course or otherwise learning it, and then taking the certification exam? Otherwise, it seems to be catch-22 and is up to chance if I can land a contract for skills I *do* have, and the new skill somehow becomes adopted.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by dwater View Post
    Yes, I agree, but that's not what I'm saying at all. I have many reasons for switching back to contracting, and this is more of an observation than anything else - it's certainly not a main reason for switching, or even a minor reason. It's more of a benefit than anything else - and it's not really that either since I don't think there are such companies any more so I don't expect to find one. That's the benefit of being self-employed, no? You really have your own interests at heart.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Are there good companies still around, that are as good on the inside as they look on the outside - or perhaps better on the inside than outside?
    Nordea Bank here are great, WFH if u want, peeps do it randomly, I don't cos I don't wanna be UK tax resident.

Despite contracted hours people come and go as they please as long as work is done, canteen is a buffet style, £2.80 all you can eat which is well cheap for uk let alone Denmark..

Leave a comment:

• dwater
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Even said all that I think LMs statement stands. This is the first time I've seen a contractor looking at it from a future perm perspective.

I'd understand contractor for life until something crops up i can't turn down but using contracting as a way to check clients for permiedom doesn't sound right at all.
    Yes, I agree, but that's not what I'm saying at all. I have many reasons for switching back to contracting, and this is more of an observation than anything else - it's certainly not a main reason for switching, or even a minor reason. It's more of a benefit than anything else - and it's not really that either since I don't think there are such companies any more so I don't expect to find one. That's the benefit of being self-employed, no? You really have your own interests at heart.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Are there good companies still around, that are as good on the inside as they look on the outside - or perhaps better on the inside than outside?
    Last edited by dwater; 8 September 2016, 16:15.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X