• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When you see same job, paying better, but you've been submitted!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you see same job, paying better, but you've been submitted!

I was submitted for a role and then found another agency was handling the same job and promising a significantly better rate.

Unusually the initial agency didn't ask for the usual line from me about 'appointing them to represent me, etc'.

I know employers don't like getting CVs from 2 different agencies - who do we pay, was the candidate honest with the agency, they think.

I was wondering if I can, maybe, fix this honestly.

Maybe I can get the second agency to submit me by telling the firstagency that I will not be going through them any more and telling the second (maybe a toughie) agency to tell the employer that I was through another agency but I am now with them.

It's an issue that's come up a few times over the years and I've let it slide but I've hadd enough.

Other people must have handled this before - and better than me.

I would be interested in hearing how you succeeded,

Thanks - Moz

Nope, I can't seem to remember a thread like that.

But you could always ask for the difference at the interview and see where it gets you.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You could find that the second agent is lieing about your rate. Its a teaser rate to draw in the suckers.

Hang on. Agents are all honest. That would never happen.

Comment

What the advert says and what you get offered are two completely different things.

They are clients not employers BTW.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Don't apply to two agents either. If they both submit you it will end up in a bun fight over who's got dibs on you and you'll end up getting binned by the client because they don't want the hassle.

You say 'over the years'? This is an odd question if you've been contracting for a few years.

Comment

I would ask for the difference too, and negotiate a better rate.

Comment

Agent #1: "It's £x/day."

Agent #2: "It's £x+y/day." Later: "Sorry, but the client's decided they're only willing to go to £x/day."

Take your pick

Comment

OP

You haven't got the role yet or have you?
                Till then any rate is surely a mute point at this time.

What may have been of more worth was trying to identify which is the clients preferred agency if they have one, that's who you should have been or be talking to.

If you have been put forward then its all academic now, then probably best to stick with that agency to avoid (if client offers) the risk of a bun fight outlined above.
                So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

If the OP doesnt understand this I'll bet he's had his pants pulled down big time by previous agents.

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
                    OP

You haven't got the role yet or have you?
                    'Til then any rate is surely a moot point at this time.

What may have been of more worth was trying to identify which is the client's preferred agency if they have one, that's who you should have been or be talking to.

If you have been put forward then it's all academic now, then probably best to stick with that agency to avoid (if client offers) the risk of a bun fight outlined above.
                    FTFY
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X