• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willendure View Post

Fair enough - it probably is rubish. I think my fear is that Labour want to tax the tulip out people like us, viewing us as nothing more than an easy target to squeeze some cash out of because they know what better to do with it.

We need to let ordinary people (like us) accumulate wealth in this country, and I feel like a lot of people who voted Labour find that idea somehow unpleasant.
    If you seriously think “ordinary people” are earning £100k+ per year, you have been deluded by the right. Average salaries in the UK are <£35k a year before tax, and that’s people paying full taxes.
    You are not “ordinary people”, you are a high earner trying to avoid paying tax and trying to pretend everyone is like you, apart from those on “benefits” who only have 3 jobs to pay their bills.
    If you’re earning 3x the average salary, you’re not middle income, and since your post is about money, I think “income” is a better term than “class”.
    If you’re not paying 3x the average tax burden, you’re part of the problem, doesn’t matter what Farage, Tate and Yaxley-Lennon try to convince you.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      If you’re earning 3x the average salary, you’re not middle income.
      If you’re not paying 3x the average tax burden, you’re part of the problem, doesn’t matter what Farage, Tate and Yaxley-Lennon try to convince you.
      What a hilarious post. What is a Marxist doing on a forum for contractors? You read it right fellow contractors, because we want to maximize our earnings and build a good life, we are the problem with this country, and we are right wing agitators!

But back to the truth. Lots of contractors are in trouble right now, those that thought they were comfortable and safe now find themselves with a war chest gone in a few months and no interviews, never mind offers. So if were wanted to talk about those on benefits, that would be many of us!

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

What a hilarious post. What is a Marxist doing on a forum for contractors? You read it right fellow contractors, because we want to maximize our earnings and build a good life, we are the problem with this country, and we are right wing agitators!
        Why is it Marxist to suggest that someone earning 3x the average salary is not on an average salary?
        Nothing wrong with wanting to maximise earnings but to try to claim 3x the average salary makes you an “ordinary person” is hilarious. That’s the kind of thing populist politicians come out with.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

Well, that specific comment calling someone Marxist (as it is something bad) in this context makes you right wing agitator. It is exact way right wing reacts if someone suggesting that there is problem with wealth distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Sub View Post

Well, that specific comment calling someone Marxist (as it is something bad) in this context makes you right wing agitator. It is exact way right wing reacts if someone suggesting that there is problem with wealth distribution.
            We are about to live in a new age of Kings. Algorithms will give one answer to the peasants and alternative truths to the elite. Inequality is just getting started.

Comment

Just looked it up at the mean (as opposed to average) gross wage in the UK is £689 per week.of which you will keep £540. I fully acknowledge the insecurity of our work but I wish some people on here would remember that when laughing at £250/£300 daily rates when a lot of the population would snap your hands off for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Put the URL into archive.ph and they'll return the content for free
                Thanks for that.

Comment

Why is it Marxist to suggest that someone earning 3x the average salary is not on an average salary?
                  Nothing wrong with wanting to maximise earnings but to try to claim 3x the average salary makes you an “ordinary person” is hilarious. That’s the kind of thing populist politicians come out with.
                  Currently making 5 times what the 'ordinary person' gets but I'm about as ordinary as you get. Just munched down my lunch from the local chippy and I'll be off to the local pub later on for a couple of pints.

Isn't it true that we are all playing the same game, it's just the numbers that differ?

Comment

If you seriously think “ordinary people” are earning £100k+ per year, you have been deluded by the right. Average salaries in the UK are <£35k a year before tax, and that’s people paying full taxes.
                    You are not “ordinary people”, you are a high earner trying to avoid paying tax and trying to pretend everyone is like you, apart from those on “benefits” who only have 3 jobs to pay their bills.
                    If you’re earning 3x the average salary, you’re not middle income, and since your post is about money, I think “income” is a better term than “class”.
                    Fair enough - and I do appreciate what you are saying, contractors are generally a lot more well off than the average UK person, and I feel I have a lot to be grateful for surviving as one for the last 23 years.

But I still feel that the ambitions of ownging a house, being able to keep a car on the road, raising some kids, being able to take a holiday once in while, being able to save some money towards retirement at a reasonable age, are ordinary middle class amibitions. The sad thing is, that our definition of ordinary seems to have slipped so badly, don't you think? I guess being an ordinary Brit these days means, you might be out of work with ill health, or caring for a relative, you use food banks, you are becoming dependant on support that enables you to exist outside of employment, you do not feel like you have access to opportunities to improve your lot, if you own a car you have debt to pay on it, you have credit card debts.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      Just looked it up at the mean (as opposed to average) gross wage in the UK is £689 per week.of which you will keep £540. I fully acknowledge the insecurity of our work but I wish some people on here would remember that when laughing at £250/£300 daily rates when a lot of the population would snap your hands off for them.
                      What you mean is £689 per week of which you will keep less-than-nothing, after paying your rent, bills, housekeeping, loans... What is the UK savings rate?

Comment

Working...
                      X