• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a month to go and verbally been offered an extension. Should I be biting their hand off for it? Without looking at the boards and stuff it feels like a yes

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
      Got a month to go and verbally been offered an extension. Should I be biting their hand off for it? Without looking at the boards and stuff it feels like a yes
      How should we know? Do you want to stay there? IS the rate OK? Work good? You can only make a decision based on the facts of the case and only you know those.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sign the extension, then you can always give notice if you find a better role.

Remember that even in a good market a new contract can be pulled at (or even after) the last minute.

Cats are evil.

Comment

Would always take an extension however bad the gig might be, unless you know you can get another role.

Comment

I would. I was out for about six months before I started the contract I'm in. It almost cleaned me out financially & I was crippled with anxiety at times. I'm due to finish this one in five weeks and I'm scared. It's honestly the worst I've found it since I started contracting in 2008. Hang on to it if you can.
            If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post

I would. I was out for about six months before I started the contract I'm in. It almost cleaned me out financially & I was crippled with anxiety at times. I'm due to finish this one in five weeks and I'm scared. It's honestly the worst I've found it since I started contracting in 2008. Hang on to it if you can.
              What do you do?

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post

In that case wouldn't it be better to go perm for 1-2 years and then assess what the market is like? or is perm also dead atm?

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

In that case wouldn't it be better to go perm for 1-2 years and then assess what the market is like? or is perm also dead atm?
                  Not really. It's not as simple as 'just go perm for a while, problem solved!'. It's also going to be twice as difficult going back to contracting. If I'm going to make the decision to go perm, it's going to have to be for good, so it would be a last resort for me.
                  If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

I'm a UX and I can see a very long and dry season for UX contractors. Alot many have switched to perm. For me i need the flexibility for now.
                    Perhaps global politics can turn things around for all economies not just ours. USA and China meetup is a good sign.

I do get an odd service designer role which looks pertinent to what I have been doing and then there are some SC cleared jobs which feels like the government is keeping the market alive. Found out that SC clearance is not something i can get on my own so will have to wait for a few more months i guess. Problem is that recruiters are now asking why i have been out of work for past 6 months as if they dont know anything about the market.

Comment

Originally posted by homemurad View Post
                      Problem is that recruiters are now asking why i have been out of work for past 6 months as if they dont know anything about the market.
                      Just make something up. It's something clients do ask.

Comment

Working...
                      X