• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Had a phone interview last week. A panel interview (always bad) and one of them wanted to spend 98% of the time asking questions about when I'd used this or that methodology in the past, leaving 2% of the time to talk about the actual project. ffs.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan...son_experiment

interviews give people with sociopathic tendencies an illusion of power hence why a lot of employees are encouraged to take part in them.

Also why going into politics is like the olympics but for the sociopaths.

that is the reason why some people would never consider perm, you’d have to rub shoulders with characters like that.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

interviews give people with sociopathic tendencies an illusion of power hence why a lot of employees are encouraged to take part in them.

that is the reason why some people would never consider perm, you’d have to rub shoulders with characters like that.
      What's that link supposed to prove?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

What's that link supposed to prove?
        It is an example that good and evil runs in all of us and that under the right pressure anyone can develop those kinds of behaviours.

it’s also meant as satire of the pettiness of corporate politics comparing it with a prison. Which in some terms it is.

In the current high cost of living, stagnant wages I guess we are going to see more ping-pong tables, pizza parties and corporate games to keep the permies happy.

Comment

In the current high cost of living, stagnant wages I guess we are going to see more ping-pong tables, pizza parties and corporate games to keep the permies happy.
          Pizza parities?

The way things are going it is going be more a case of 'be thankful you even have a job peasant and we aren't making your ass redundant'.

Same applies to contractors, I still remember back in 2002, a contractor i knew was working for an IB in Canary Wharf, while i was on the bench, after a round of rate cuts, he told me the attitude of the managers changed to shut the f up, do as you are told, and be thankful you even have a contract.
          Last edited by Fraidycat; 19 March 2023, 13:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Pizza parities?

One large pizza has reached parity with a large mixed kebab here in Essex.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Pizza parities?

Same applies to contractors, I still vividly remember back in 2002, a contractor i knew was working for an IB in Canary Wharf, while i was on the bench, after a round of rate cuts, he told me the attitude of the managers changed to shut the f up, do as you are told, and be thankful you even have a contract.
              Life is too short to stay in a toxic contract, I would rather live under a bridge than treated poorly and abused every day and still have to show gratitude for it. That is how you destroy a man’s soul.
              And your mental health would thank you later.

With that being said, people that are desperate for work now are the ones that have dug themselves into that situation.
              Overstretched mortgage, leased cars, expensive lifestyle. Wife spending like there is no tomorrow.

I am guilty of some of that myself albeit of the shot really hits the fan I can always go to a low cost location and enjoy life. South of Spain, Thailand.

You just have to have a bit of imagination and they could be the best months of your life. Even with children, I do not know how people afford childcare in London.

More banks are going to fail, social unrest and misery is on the horizon. Choosing to stay around here because it is comfortable while you are not getting paid is having Stockholm syndrome.

Comment

It is an example that good and evil runs in all of us and that under the right pressure anyone can develop those kinds of behaviours.

it’s also meant as satire of the pettiness of corporate politics comparing it with a prison. Which in some terms it is.

But did you read the conclusions.

Conclusions and observations drawn by the experimenters were largely subjective and anecdotal, and the experiment is practically impossible for other researchers to accurately reproduce. In 1973, Erich Fromm argued, as only a third of the guards displayed sadistic behaviors, SPE is more accurately an example of how a situation cannot influence a person's behavior.[12] He states that there were generalizations in the experiment's results and argued that the personality of an individual does affect behavior when imprisoned. This ran counter to the study's conclusion that the prison situation itself controls the individual's behavior. Fromm also argued that the methods employed to screen participants could not determine the amount of sadism in the subjects.[37]
                Participants' behavior may have been shaped by knowing that they were watched (Hawthorne effect).[30] Instead of being restrained by fear of an observer, guards may have behaved more aggressively when supervisors observing them did not step in to restrain them.[35]

Many have argued that the validity and merit of the research findings were significantly affected by the Demand characteristics § Notes, and selection bias resulting from the Recruitment and selection § Notes.
                So in other words a complete pile of steaming dung from which nothing can be learned.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

i thought we'd got shot of this paranoid whining conspiracy theorist.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But did you read the conclusions.

So in other words a complete pile of steaming dung from which nothing can be learned.
                    To my defence I did not read it as I knew what the experiment entailed. It seems that wiki is now a watered down version with nothing said.

Do your own research outside of that article, if you are not a AI bot you should be able to reach your own conclusions.

Last edited by GigiBronz; 19 March 2023, 13:47.

Comment

These days we no longer have to get suited and booted and take 4 hours out of our day, including travel expenses to attend an office interview.

If a zoom interview is not going well or you don't like the person interviewing you, end it early as the interviewee. We now have power too in this situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X