• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi XXX are you still looking for a role?

I am working with one of the funkiest and vibrant agencies in the UK

They are looking for a Frontend Developer to come in and own projects from the start

The company are offering a hybrid environment, they are based in the heart of Sheffield and are offering a salary of £30 - 40,000 plus other benefits

For a full overview please send me a copy of your CV and a good time to speak

my reply:

wth, do your homework

Comment

followed up with

Tell LYNX to stop spamming me with useless roles

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
        Hi XXX are you still looking for a role?

I am working with one of the funkiest and vibrant agencies in the UK

The "funky and vibrant" description of anything is usually a warning of "crap money/conditions incoming"
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Since learning my gig was finishing at the end of the year, I've had 4 agents and one consultancy contact me about different roles. My next pitch is later today.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've had a few enquiries here and there. I'm not looking at present anyway but it's not entirely dead.

Comment

The usual quiet periods of the market either side of xmas or summer holidays never seem to apply to me for some reason. I'm on my 8th contract role since I switched from perm 10 years ago and four were secured in December, the rest were in July/August. Conversely I've often found lean pickings when looking during what theoretically are peak months of say, March -June and Sept-Nov.

I've had three approaches in the last couple of weeks so maybe things are still ticking over as we head into xmas.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

The "funky and vibrant" description of anything is usually a warning of "crap money/conditions incoming"
                We need a Job Spec De-coder thread for these.

e.g.
                • exciting opportunity = the last contractor left for something better and we're hiring a replacement
                • fast moving company = impatient client, or utterly toxic with high staff turnover
                • world leading company = probably a global toilet roll manufacturer you've never heard of
                • competitive rates = we want the cheapest contractor
                • excellent work environment = Standard office. Free coffee and tea, good luck finding a spare mug
                • strong attention to detail = client likes to micromanage

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

We need a Job Spec De-coder thread for these.

e.g.
                  • exciting opportunity = the last contractor left for something better and we're hiring a replacement
                  • fast moving company = impatient client, or utterly toxic with high staff turnover
                  • world leading company = probably a global toilet roll manufacturer you've never heard of
                  • competitive rates = we want the cheapest contractor
                  • excellent work environment = Standard office. Free coffee and tea, good luck finding a spare mug
                  • strong attention to detail = client likes to micromanage
                  I think you've got that pretty nailed down! I'll never look at job ads again in the same way

Comment

I do at times wonder if some contractors are in the same universe as me. I get they might be in more demand than me but time of year or broader economic situation not ever effecting the range of roles on offer or rate? Ok then.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      I do at times wonder if some contractors are in the same universe as me. I get they might be in more demand than me but time of year or broader economic situation not ever effecting the range of roles on offer or rate? Ok then.
                      I mean, it does a bit, but once you've been rolling for a while, the strength of your CV opens doors that are shut to you at the start of the career.

Much as I apply for roles, the ones I actually get are from agents finding me (details harvested from roles applied for previously) and telling me about them. This happens regularly enough that I don't really have to look as such. I've turned down 6 verbal offers this year and said no to many more that weren't paying market rate or wanted something permielike like office presence.
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X