• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

Why would you not work for a Russian company? Don't understand this at all. On similar lines of Wimbledon banning Russian players pretty much.
    1. It's an easy way for me to make a big deal about making a stand without actually inconveniencing myself in the slightest - kind of like when Guardian readers made a big show of boycotting Sports Direct when they wouldn't have been seen dead there in the first place.

2. I inherited their code on a previous project and it was quite obvious that they threw poor quality developers at projects.

Comment

I am being approached on a daily basis for outside roles at HMRC.

Either HMRC or the firms working for them are extremely inflexible about rates which is a shame because I quite fancy working for them.

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
        If you are in the wrong ecosystem, you might think that.

All the REACT/ AWS/ Golang people I know are earning over £700 a day. Highest is £850 outside. I know because I can see the billable rates and the agencies are on a fixed margin.

If you look on Jobserve, there are similar sounding roles paying £300, and those contractors would likely bite your hand off to get £500.

Neither group is wrong.
        react market is dead atm, calls dried up with all the stocks crashing and inflation

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
          I am being approached on a daily basis for outside roles at HMRC.

Either HMRC or the firms working for them are extremely inflexible about rates which is a shame because I quite fancy working for them.
          The irony of the above is telling.

It sounds to me like fake news, because ultimately the fee-payer in the off-payroll rules since 2021 is the HMRC themselves making Status Determination Statements; so are they (agencies / big four consultancies) making it up as they go along?
          Last edited by rocktronAMP; 13 May 2022, 15:49. Reason: added big 4 consultancies

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

The irony of the above is telling.

It sounds to me like fake news, because ultimately the fee-payer in the off-payroll rules since 2021 is the HMRC themselves making Status Determination Statements; so are they (agencies / big four consultancies) making it up as they go along?
            Nope HMRC outsource a whole pile of development work and if it's outside it really will be outside.

However rates were probably set a while back so don't reflect the current market and yes HMRC won't be flexible.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Nope HMRC outsource a whole pile of development work and if it's outside it really will be outside.

However rates were probably set a while back so don't reflect the current market and yes HMRC won't be flexible.
              Ah. Thank you Eek. This is useful to know there is no flim-flam on the SDS. I know of one contractor, who left us 1 month ago, they said they obtained Outside IR35 gig. I thought they were a pulling a fast-one. The inflexibility makes total sense, because the consultancies have a fixed budget and already tendered for the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Ah. Thank you Eek. This is useful to know there is no flim-flam on the SDS. I know of one contractor, who left us 1 month ago, they said they obtained Outside IR35 gig. I thought they were a pulling a fast-one. The inflexibility makes total sense, because the consultancies have a fixed budget and already tendered for the contract.
                If they can't hire developers of sufficient quality then their bid process is flawed.

One agent I spoke to admitted that they are having to skim money off the top of BAs and tester rates in order to offer high enough rates for developers and they are still a way off market rates.

Comment

One agent I spoke to admitted that they are having to skim money off the top of BAs and tester rates in order to offer high enough rates for developers and they are still a way off market rates.
                  Anecdotally, I've heard this is becoming more common now with security and developer roles, contract and perm.

Comment

Just had an agent contact me about an inside role 40% below my current rate.

When I mentioned the rate was unacceptable I was asked if I would consider it as a second concurrent contract!

Comment

Just had an agent contact me about an inside role 40% below my current rate.

When I mentioned the rate was unacceptable I was asked if I would consider it as a second concurrent contract!
                      Desperate times, indeed. Dudie.
                      I am laughing my head off, but when I stop laughing and think sensibly about the second income, then how does fly in terms of family commitment, leisure / work.
                      The agent is clueless about PAYE / IR35 / Off Payroll Woker rules

Here is my surprise of the day.

URGENT APPLICATION DEVELOPER CONTRACT

"Currently, we are seeking an Application Developer - Cloud Microservices for a 6 months'+ contract position on an ASAP Government Project.
                      Role: 2x Application Developer - Cloud Microservices (SC Cleared/Eligible)
                      Duration: 6-12Months / Possible extensions
                      Rate:£400 per day - Inside of IR35
                      "

The daily rate is £100 to £150 off the London / Hybrid that I have seen recently.

Comment

Working...
                      X