• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Echo the sentiments on here.

Jan really busy when I wasn’t looking, now having a look and getting ghosted….

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
      Echo the sentiments on here.

Jan really busy when I wasn’t looking, now having a look and getting ghosted….
      its the usual year end lull, it will pick up again assuming WW3 does not start tomorrow.

Comment

Echoing a lot of the recent comments on here.

Market very quiet now and when something Outside does come up, the rate is very low, easily back to 2014/15 levels.

I juggled offers for both an Inside role on a poor rate and a perm role on a decent salary (for the area) and decent overall package.

In the end I've gone for the perm role because:
        1. It's very local (10 mins drive through a some nice country lanes)
        2. I've previously had a few contracts with them, so I know they're a decent bunch and the work is interesting
        3. I'm heartily sick and tired of all the hassle of trying to find the next contract these days, being messed around by agencies and (increasingly) clients pretending to offer Outside roles and then providing contracts that are blatantly caught by IR35, with added clauses passing liability back to the contractor.
        4. Inside rates are generally rubbish and I object to having to use a brolly.

An added bonus was that I got to flip the finger to the client offering the Inside contract at such a poor rate.

Unsure how long I'll cope with being a wage slave again mind. Leaving the Ltd just ticking over for the time being.
        Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

its the usual year end lull, it will pick up again assuming WW3 does not start tomorrow.
          End of financial year?

Perhaps - I have had a flurry of approaches over the last two days offering good rates.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

End of financial year?

Perhaps - I have had a flurry of approaches over the last two days offering good rates.
            I have been making notes of the jobserve activity levels since the lockdown, its reading 28k ish today, about half of what it was between New Year and just before the war started, when it was reading about 49k-52k.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

I have been making notes of the jobserve activity levels since the lockdown, its reading 28k ish today, about half of what it was between New Year and just before the war started, when it was reading about 49k-52k.
              Don't you get emails from agents you have connected with over the years?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Don't you get emails from agents you have connected with over the years?
                I don't connect with agents - I don't want them trawling my legitimate connections.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I don't connect with agents - I don't want them trawling my legitimate connections.
                  Sorry I meant agents who have your email address from yonks ago?

There are some agents who have moved agencies who have my (role hunting) email address.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Sorry I meant agents who have your email address from yonks ago?

There are some agents who have moved agencies who have my (role hunting) email address.
                    I am not looking, i just track the traffic a bit to get a good idea when to pull a swing into another role. If the traffic starts to pop and i am towards the end of a gig its my que to bump my rate and start looking for my next role.

Agents? No, not anymore, the industry has changed alot, the ones I knew years ago have moved on, many of them into other industries other than recruitment. The pandemic and IR35 also performed a cull on agents, many of which moved into HR roles and into proper consultancies.

All my work now comes from more experienced people who know the market, know the roles, skills etc. that millenials in the bigger agencies could not match before the IR35 changes started to bite, all IR35 and the pandemic did was accelerate the changes.

The area where these agencies still operate in, to good effect is where it does not take many brain-cells to close lots of deals - Java, C++, .net programmers etc. but i am not in that area.

Comment

Is there anything more terrifying than receiving an invitation to a “first” interview?!

Seriously with a market like this who can afford to waste time with more than one interview
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X