• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nemosdad View Post

Persistence, education and of course it is America. I was born in India, I was working in a large Insurance Company in America, I became their group CTO for a business that was running on 3 different continents. I was the youngest among veterans there, that was an old story. Twelve years back, I settled in the UK due to various personal reasons and I have to reboot from the beginning, I was a Developer, Architect, Enterprise Architect and I am a DevOps Engineer doing different certifications and doing gigs now, beyond that no one is ready to hire me as CTO even though I have two startups successfully running and even now agencies are considering me as a DevOps or Architect here.
    would you be able to detail a bit more on why you think the market works differently here and you were not able to equivalate your skills?

Comment

Got to love this job spec i just received. Bolding as per the original email. Same investors as Facebook and Skype!!

I appreciate you may not be actively looking for work, but if not, good people tend to know good people.

Mid-Level / Senior / Lead Node.js Backend Developers are required for a growing disruptive start up to help them get to the next level. They have shown 200% growth in the last year and are now looking to grow further and need your help. The company has just had a recent investment of £9M, and now are looking to use this investment to secure some top talent and grow even more. They have the same investors as Facebook and Skype. The company has 30 people in whilst having 10 in the engineering team. Their product really helps people who have low incomes so can be seen as Tech for good.

The Engineering team is made from Software Developers, and a couple Data Scientists too. The company is at a strong exciting growth stage, so are hiring Mid Level / Senior / Lead Node.js developers of all levels.

There is a generous salary on offer in the region of £45,000- £105,000 plus share options. Other perks
      • Fully Remote
      • Share Options
      • Free Bupa Healthcare
      • Free Life Insurance
      • £500 pounds contribution to Home Office
      • £30 pounds each month contribution to Wifi
      • This expansion means a variety of career progression options in the future
      • Being able to learn and pick up GCP & Typescript on job (if you don’t already have experience with them)
      • Super cool idea, which really is different to other companies in the sector! (Get in touch to find out more)
      • Pension

The successful Mid-Level / Senior / Lead Node.js Developers will have the following:
      • Experience with developing with Node.js or another server side tool such as Java, Python, Golang, Ruby, Scala but must be willing to learn Node.js
      • Strong JavaScript Skills
      • Any Experience with AWS / GCP / Azure will be a bonus
      • Any Typescript experience will be a bonus
      • Coming from Full Stack background is fine, as long as you want to be a backend developer using purely Node.js + GCP moving forwards.

This is a fantastic opportunity for dynamic Mid Level / Senior / Lead Backend Developers who are looking for an exciting and lucrative career working for an extremely well backed and stable start-up, where you get to work on a cool innovative product, whilst being able to have a large impact on the product, and not be some cog in a machine.

To find out more about this role, please send your CV Or LI Profile + number to <removed> for review as interviews are taking place this week.

Comment

Persistence, education and of course it is America. I was born in India, I was working in a large Insurance Company in America, I became their group CTO for a business that was running on 3 different continents. I was the youngest among veterans there, that was an old story. Twelve years back, I settled in the UK due to various personal reasons and I have to reboot from the beginning, I was a Developer, Architect, Enterprise Architect and I am a DevOps Engineer doing different certifications and doing gigs now, beyond that no one is ready to hire me as CTO even though I have two startups successfully running and even now agencies are considering me as a DevOps or Architect here.
        I have a feeling it's more to do with with minorities getting selected for certain roles. It's as if there's an invisible checkbox.
        It's sad to see that this diversity box ticking bs has reached the States too.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post

I have a feeling it's more to do with with minorities getting selected for certain roles. It's as if there's an invisible checkbox.
          It's sad to see that this diversity box ticking bs has reached the States too.
          What a load of nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            Got to love this job spec i just received. Bolding as per the original email. Same investors as Facebook and Skype!!
            Is the £500 to the Home Office a contribution towards visa fees?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Is the £500 to the Home Office a contribution towards visa fees?

That's what I was thinking too at first glance.

Comment

Over here, recruiters only care about UK work experience.
                It is very easy to pay someone in a 3rd world country and they will confirm and provide a reference. I could be a Head of IT in La la land for example, without ever having worked in IT. Can you imagine how disastrous it would be if I was employed as a Head of IT for any company here?

Comment

I just saw a role where it's advertised as a 1st line support role and they want the candidate to have experience with AWS. Eh?

Comment

Blagging a job in another country & expecting that to mean anything in a country like the UK (where they can easily check & double check) is not even the same sport! I doubt anyone would boast about it either on these forums if genuine...!

If you are cheap enough to hire though some might give you a job & see where it takes them on a you get what you paid for basis & use you as an experiment to see how much for how much!

Comment

Desktop Support Engineer

£98p/d - Inside IR35

Comment

Working...
                      X